X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sn2
    • Feb 2002
    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ubbuser
    Sorry to butt in, but Boss how much bandwidth (in gb / day) your board uses, and do you have something like mod_gzip module compression going?

Why are you upgrading to vB, as UBB is handling so many users?

BTW I just moved from UBB to vB , and am just an end user myself.
    probably because ubb eats too much bandwidth like most flat file forums

Comment

• Boss
      • May 2001

Our server is about tapped and we are still growing at a rapid pace. We are over 100 Gig per month.

Anybody know which server would do the most work MySQL or the webserver?

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Boss
        Our server is about tapped and we are still growing at a rapid pace. We are over 100 Gig per month.

Anybody know which server would do the most work MySQL or the webserver?
        server config forum question i suppose http://vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=14

but generally the web server does more work for email, web serving, and other linux processes but the mysql database can do more work too.. especially if you're like me and are paranoid and do automated cronjob backups of 1.8GB worth of databases every 12 hrs!
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• John
          • Apr 2000

Boss,

Would really like to see your forums so that we can get a feel for them. I'm feeling quite ignored

John
          John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by John
            Boss,

Would really like to see your forums so that we can get a feel for them. I'm feeling quite ignored

John
            same here i'd like to see the forums too
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• John
              • Apr 2000

I have the URL for anyone who would like to help out, I'm just waiting for Boss to let me give it out to anyone who would like to help out. Email me, and I'll let you know, when I've heard back.

John
              John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

• nuno
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Essentially concurrent users in a 15 minute period.

Their server info:

Note the part about 2 servers: running one for each specific program greatly helps performance.
                are they running any kind of accelerator software?

Originally posted by John
                I have the URL for anyone who would like to help out, I'm just waiting for Boss to let me give it out to anyone who would like to help out. Email me, and I'll let you know, when I've heard back.

John
                i wanna
                You're my Prince of Peace
                And I will live my life for You

Comment

• voogru
                  • Nov 2001

i kinda wanted to see a UBB forum that big too
                  http://www.voogru.com
                  http://forums.voogru.com

Comment

• Divine Coding
                    • Nov 2001

any chance of posting it here?

Stephen

Comment

• Boss
                      • May 2001

Okay guys my URL is in my profile. I do not post my URL because I am not a very good designer and my users are everywhere and I ussually end up looking stupid.

We tried the switch to the VB a few weeks ago. First we started with a second server for the MySql. After zooming up to 941 concurrent online we crashed (that only took a few hours), so we switched the MySql to the same server (the more powerful one) and crashed again (that only took about 15 minutes). We had the config file set to "don't use persistent connections", my server guy thinks setting it to "use persistent connections will help". He ran tests and said the MySql server was not the problem and said the number of quires were well within their limits of the MySql server (in fact the load on this server was low).

We ended up switching back to our UBB and it handled the traffic no problem that night. However some nights we have problems with the UBB. Seems with our current setup with the UBB we can handle about 1200-1300 concurrent. But it hangs and crashes after that.

What do I need to do to make this work? Our traffic will slow (have already started to slow some) in a few weeks. So we will not have problems for awhile until next season. Thus, I have about 6 months to find a solution. So from those (Dave Bott) that have had over 1,000 concurrent what do I need to do to get this work? Switching off the search function is not an option. With over 1500 daily active topics that would be a disaster. Will changing to persistent connections be the answer? Should I wait until Version 3? Do I need to wait for a Cybase version of the Vb. Is it possible with the Vb? Please list all your best optimization tips.

The following thread has me worried:

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Boss
                        Okay guys my URL is in my profile. I do not post my URL because I am not a very good designer and my users are everywhere and I ussually end up looking stupid.

We tried the switch to the VB a few weeks ago. First we started with a second server for the MySql. After zooming up to 941 concurrent online we crashed (that only took a few hours), so we switched the MySql to the same server (the more powerful one) and crashed again (that only took about 15 minutes). We had the config file set to "don't use persistent connections", my server guy thinks setting it to "use persistent connections will help". He ran tests and said the MySql server was not the problem and said the number of quires were well within their limits of the MySql server (in fact the load on this server was low).

We ended up switching back to our UBB and it handled the traffic no problem that night. However some nights we have problems with the UBB. Seems with our current setup with the UBB we can handle about 1200-1300 concurrent. But it hangs and crashes after that.

What do I need to do to make this work? Our traffic will slow (have already started to slow some) in a few weeks. So we will not have problems for awhile until next season. Thus, I have about 6 months to find a solution. So from those (Dave Bott) that have had over 1,000 concurrent what do I need to do to get this work? Switching off the search function is not an option. With over 1500 daily active topics that would be a disaster. Will changing to persistent connections be the answer? Should I wait until Version 3? Do I need to wait for a Cybase version of the Vb. Is it possible with the Vb? Please list all your best optimization tips.

The following thread has me worried:

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...ht=load+issues
                        well you need your servers tweaked some more .... http://disboards.com i installed and tweaked their php and mysql settings to handle 1200+ users on a single dual p3 933 server with 1.5 gb ram and 2 x scsi disks

you need to head over over to server configuration forum so i can work my magic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...