X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pelican
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.6.x

vb3.8 latest version

previously i've bought the extension pack for my expired vb3.8 that allow me to update to the latest vb3.8.7
    now that vb3.8.8 is out, will my vb3.8 with the extension pack still able to upgrade to the latest vb3.8.8?
    or my extension pack is wasted and being forced to paid vb5 upgrade price just to get the latest vb3.8.8?
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Only vB5 is available.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

To get 3.8.8 you'd now need to purchase a vB5 license.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• pelican
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.6.x

then coming out with vb3.8.8 seems pointless.
        those who really needs vb3.8.8 mostly didnt upgrade to vb4 because they purchase the extension pack to get the latest vb3.8.

i suggest you should allow those who purchase the extension previously to have access to the latest vb3.8.
        no one with a logical mind will buy upgrade to vb5 just to upgrade to vb3.8.8 from vb3.8.7

since you are going to continue to "develop" vb3.8, you should come out with a reasonable license for members to "buy out" vb3.
        that is, member will get lifetime vb3 updates (non expired vb3) just as vb4 and vb5.
        (your chance to grab more money from those who are not going to upgrade beyond vb3.8)
        Last edited by pelican; Sun 19 May '13, 9:36pm.

Comment

• I, Brian
          • Feb 2003
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          I didn't realise that. You really have to consider treating your customers better than that. If someone has paid for vb3 and has an active licence, it is utter arrogance to demand they pay for a different piece of software just for an essential upgrade to the software they have already bought a licence for.

I have multiple licences, was just about to buy vb5 but couldn't because your sales platform has apparently been broken all week. Now I'm left wondering if I should continue with the sales process. After all, how long into vb5 before you claim I have to buy additional software just to keep vb5 active? Are you going to add additional charges to vb5 owners for essential upgrades as soon as vb6 goes gold and you decide vb5 is end of life?

Your attitude has left me wondering whether I should be buying from vbulletin at all, and that's an honest customer opinion.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by I, Brian
            I didn't realise that. You really have to consider treating your customers better than that. If someone has paid for vb3 and has an active licence, it is utter arrogance to demand they pay for a different piece of software just for an essential upgrade to the software they have already bought a licence for.

I have multiple licences, was just about to buy vb5 but couldn't because your sales platform has apparently been broken all week. Now I'm left wondering if I should continue with the sales process. After all, how long into vb5 before you claim I have to buy additional software just to keep vb5 active? Are you going to add additional charges to vb5 owners for essential upgrades as soon as vb6 goes gold and you decide vb5 is end of life?

Your attitude has left me wondering whether I should be buying from vbulletin at all, and that's an honest customer opinion.
            No you won't ever need to pay for vB5 upgrades when you have a vb5 license.

It's important to remember that vB3 licenses were a completely different structure to vB4 and vB5 licenses. vB3 licenses allowed lifetime running of the software, but required regular payments for upgrades. If you didn't pay the regular fee, you couldn't get the update once your current payment had expired. That's how the license worked.

vB4 and vB5 licenses are "lifetime" licenses - you get updates for that version (and below) of the software, for as long as updates are actually being released.
            Last edited by Mark.B; Wed 5 Jun '13, 2:11pm.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• Road Rash
              • Apr 2013
              • 4.2.X

vB3 licenses were a completely different structure to vB4 and vB5 licenses
              So what you are saying is that vB3 license is past tense? No longer applicable and is being replaced with the vB4 and vB5 license?
              If that is the case then the vB3 license should allow for a free upgrade as you said
              "lifetime" licenses - you get updates for that version (and below) of the software, for as long as updates are actually being released.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Road Rash
                vB3 licenses were a completely different structure to vB4 and vB5 licenses
                So what you are saying is that vB3 license is past tense? No longer applicable and is being replaced with the vB4 and vB5 license?
                If that is the case then the vB3 license should allow for a free upgrade as you said
                "lifetime" licenses - you get updates for that version (and below) of the software, for as long as updates are actually being released.
                Do you have a vBulletin license of any sort?

If so, please associate your forum account with your license. To do this, please go here:

https://members.vbulletin.com/member...t_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You will also have to select the specific forums that you wish to have access at. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

On the other hand, if you don't have a license then the matter really has no relevance to you.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------

Comment

• Road Rash
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Oky doky Mark LOL

Comment

• I, Brian
                    • Feb 2003
                    • 3.6.x

vB4 and vB5 licenses are "lifetime" licenses - you get updates for that version (and below) of the software, for as long as updates are actually being released.
                    I don't mean to sound cynical, but you've just tied in an important upgrade for vb3 to the purchase of vb5.

I have at least one still active license listed for vb3 - but the member area will not allow me to upgrade to 3.8.8

Therefore there is nothing to say vbulletin will only provide later updates for vb5 if they buy vb7.

I can appreciate the strategy from a marketing angle, but for a user all I see is vbulletin refusing to provide an important upgrade for legacy software unless a new version licence is bought, and nothing to suggest this won't be repeated later on.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by I, Brian
                      Therefore there is nothing to say vbulletin will only provide later updates for vb5 if they buy vb7.
                      I'm sorry but as Mark pointed out the license you buy for VB4 or VB5 is fundamentally different than we sold for VB 3.x. VB 3.x were time limited (1 year) in terms of updates. Every year you had to pay more to keep getting updates.

VB4/VB5 are now more expensive, initially, but are 1 time purchases. By definition you will get every VB 5.x version released up until 5.9999.9999 if we get that far (which we won't).

The point is there is no chance we could make you buy VB6 to get a VB5 upgrade.

Comment

• feldon23
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
                        The point is there is no chance we could make you buy VB6 to get a VB5 upgrade.
                        There is no chance that there will be a VB6.

Comment

• OhioDave
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2012

Arguing this with mark, Joe or anyone else who visits and participates on the forums is futile. They do not make these decisions. They merely support them.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

Arguing is pointless, but making your feelings known is encouraged.

I completely understand the feeling that someone is unhappy they are not being given access to 3.8.8 if they had 3.8.7.

Comment

• pelican
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
                              Arguing is pointless, but making your feelings known is encouraged.

I completely understand the feeling that someone is unhappy they are not being given access to 3.8.8 if they had 3.8.7.
                              Unhappy because those of us who paid for the 3.8 upgrade extension are not able to get this latest 3.8.8 upgrade.

Comment