vBulletin 5: Does it now contain the calendar and the CMS replacement?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdj
    • Jan 2009
    • 5.1.x

vBulletin 5: Does it now contain the calendar and the CMS replacement?

I've just got the email this morning telling me that vBulletin 5 Connect is here! So I'm wondering whether to upgrade my vB4 site.

The blurb says:

"We're pleased to be making available the fully supported version of vBulletin 5 Connect, which is the newest version of vBulletin and the best forum software available anywhere.

There are compelling reasons to upgrade your site to vBulletin 5 Connect. It delivers great social capabilities, easy content discovery and posting, and a highly optimized mobile experience. vBulletin 5 Connect sites are easy to manage with our Site Builder functionality.

There are many ways in which vBulletin 5 Connect sites are a major advancement beyond vBulletin 4. At the same time, the product maintains the hallmarks of vBulletin's popularity, including extensive customizability, strong moderation control and security, and world-class customer support."

At the moment the calendar on our vB4 site is very popular, and we use the Content Management System for jobs and a news feed. The blurb doesn't say whether this is or is not "vBulletin Gold", the thing that has the CMS replacement and presumably the calendar.

So does this latest vB5, whatever version it is have the calendar and the CMS replacement?

If not, is there any further information on when we might expect them?
  • captainslater
    • Jun 2006

Currently there is no calendar and CMS/Article feature. Also I don't have any infos when it will be back.
    To infinity and beyond!
    Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
    captainslater
    - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• jdj
      jdj commented
      Editing a comment
      So what would you advise if you wanted to use vB5 today, but you needed the features that were in vB4? Wait for vB5 because the calendar and CMS won't be long, or learn to integrate vB5 with Joomla?
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

I would recommend you use VB4 until VB5 has the features you need.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
      I would recommend you use VB4 until VB5 has the features you need.
      Whoever drafted that e-mail signed it "Your vBulletin Support Staff". I think they meant the Royal "We".

Comment

• Natai
        • Feb 2010

Please be sure to make another announcement once VB5 is actually complete and ready to replace VB4. As with the OP, it's of no use to me until it includes these features.

Also; a couple quick questions regarding CMS:
        1) Will VB5 CMS include a 'Print Article' option? I know this has been asked a lot of VB4, but nothing ever materialized.
        2) Is there going to be a discount (as I seem to remember being available to those who basically pre-purchased their upgrade) or 'extended service period' (as the upgrade provides support through June), when the CMS and other features are released? To be perfectly honest, I'm feeling just a little cheated that, not only have some of the features that led me to choose VB in the first place being put on the back burner for VB5, but because they're being released at another time I'm not able to take advantage of these offers.
        3) And finally, any rough ETA on these features?

Thanks

Comment

• jdj
          • Jan 2009
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Natai
          make another announcement once VB5 is actually complete and ready to replace VB4. As with the OP, it's of no use to me until it includes these features.

....CMS include a 'Print Article' option?
          ....Is there going to be a discount
          ....any rough ETA on these features?
          It's also no use to me until it includes these features and I've been asking for an ETA for some time now as I upgraded to a current vB5 license last year around when vB5 came out, although it's unusable for me without the calendar and CMS replacement. It takes a long time to build up a site and if you kill off your content just because something comes along that's new then you're not doing yourself any favours.

The print article idea is a great idea but frankly I'd be happy with something I can use. The main attraction for me of vB5 is that it claims to be more mobile friendly but without the CMS and calendar I can't use it anyway.

Comment

• Richy
            • Oct 2011
            • 4.2.X

Totally agree with the sentiments here, I cannot understand how vBulletin would even consider releasing the "full version" without including some of the widely used applications such as Calendar and Articles.

To then compound this by then saying they will be incorporated in some later version but have no idea when this will be, is not really acceptable. If we were given a timeframe which specified when these would be included we could proceed with building and testing in preparation - but without a timeframe there really is no point.

Printing of Articles would be a nice touch.

Comment

• napy8gen
              • Jul 2001
              • 6.X

vBulletin now should know already that vb5 CMS is key to the sales figure of vb5 connect. You should have statistic how many vb4 suites are there installed and active. These are the potential upgrader. Then you should push all your effort to make this CMS for vb5 in next version release. No waithing for 6 months or 1 year to get it.
              Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• jdj
                • Jan 2009
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by napy8gen
                vBulletin now should know already that vb5 CMS is key to the sales figure of vb5 connect. You should have statistic how many vb4 suites are there installed and active. These are the potential upgrader. Then you should push all your effort to make this CMS for vb5 in next version release. No waithing for 6 months or 1 year to get it.
                It's already been longer than 6 months since I downloaded vB5: I can't use it without the CMS and calendar though. I think the point about the number of vB4 installations is valid although vB aren't going to know how many people are using the forum without the CMS. I know some places using vB4 for the forum and Joomla for CMS and blogs with a single login. They haven't upgraded to vB5 though....

Certainly the calendar used to be a popular feature in vB3 and vB4...understandable really....not everyone sits in front of a computer thinking how exciting software is: Whether it's a hobby site or something to do with business, people like to know when stuff that they are interested in is going on. And if you actually made the effort to learn to use the CMS in vB4 for something then you're stuffed without them. Most online marketing these days is content-driven and you can't just abandon all your content; people search for it...that's why there's a search facility in vBulletin.

Comment

• avitor
                  • Jun 2007

hh vbulletin with no cms ?
                  sownds wary wird
                  http://www.horadot.co.za

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

The CMS is being rewritten since many people felt it could be done better than what we had for VB4, as a result- it will take extra time. We are not releasing an estimate yet but I can say it's not going to be measured in weeks- we are looking at months. Whether it's 2, 3, or 10 I don't know.

Comment

• OhioDave
                      OhioDave commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a load.
                  • aberg
                    • Jul 2004

I have bought the VB5 when it comes out.
                    There was a plan that CMS will be coming in VB5.
                    Still I use the VB4 suite and wating and waiting for the CMS.
                    I have done a mistake to buy the license for VB5.
                    A lot of promise but no support for the VB4 suite users to upgrade there CMS content

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Since there is not a CMS part of the vBulletin 5 software, there isn't anything to do yet. Once it has been released, it will be supported. Pretty straight forward.

Comment

• too_cool_3
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 4.2.x

@Zachary, there is no guarantee that the vb5 CMS will be released by the end of 2013? Or is that a fair estimate.

Comment

• OhioDave
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2012

They do not provide estimates for when it will be released. So there is no promise of getting it in 2013.

Comment