Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teedizz
    • Feb 2004

In My Position, What Would You Do?

I currently have a heavy traffic website that was built from the ground up via PHP. Right now we only have the website alone with no forum. We tried doing the discussion forum along side of having our main website but we just couldnt transition people over, they go for one sole purpose and thats it. So recently we wanted to just rid of the main site and migrate everything over to a forum structure so that way users not only get their content but also have the opportunity to engage with other users.

We wanted to do this using VB5 but have been patiently waiting for a LOOOOONNNGGGG time. Well its come to a point where we have to make this switch asap. So I say all of that to say this. If you were me, would you make that move move with the current state of VB5? Should we make that move via VB4 or just completely ditch VB and go with a forum like Xf? I never knew about Xf until I started reading a few threads here. I never knew that Digital point was run off of Xf, I always thought it was a VB forum.

Basically the only thing that lacks to me about Xf is that the mods and add-ons are lacking. I really like/need that download manager plug that VB has. My site is structured around downloads so that is one thing i have to consider. What would you do?

I spoke with my site developer and he stated he could transfer all of our current content over to VB via database.
  • teedizz
    • Feb 2004

Ohhh, I forgot to mention. I already own a VB5 license. So basically if I were to go with Xf then id just be flushing that money we shelled out for VB5 down the toilet. LOL.

Comment

• oldlock
      • Jun 2009
      • 3.8.x

IMHO VB4 would not be a good move, it's been untouched for months despite serious issues. If they ever get the mess that is VB5 sorted you can bet that VB4 will be EOL'd faster than I can type it.

I would look at Xf or IPB etc.

It's bummer you bought the VB5 licence - did you download it yet ??

Comment

• teedizz
        • Feb 2004

Yeah, I downloaded it and installed it already. I havent encountered no problems with it but again its only me on the forum testing. LOL. Once i bridge over 500,000+ members and transfer my main sites content over to the forum is when i know issues will happen so I was waiting on a stable version of VB5. Plus they havent added the Download manager add on for VB5 yet. Only Vb4 :-/

Comment

• jdearing
          • May 2001

I'm not too familiar with download manager, but Xf's Resource Manager isn't similar?
          http://www.stlracing.com

Comment

• 0ptima
            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by teedizz
            Once i bridge over 500,000+ members and transfer my main sites content over to the forum is when i know issues will happen so I was waiting on a stable version of VB5. Plus they havent added the Download manager add on for VB5 yet. Only Vb4 :-/
            Take a look at this

Bridging is probably a lot easier with the Invision Power Board as they have an API for this.

Comment

• The Crow
              • Jan 2009
              • 4.2.X

If you already have the vB license then you could go with vB4. It has a few issues, but they've promised to release an update "soon" that will address them. Other than these issues the software is rock solid (IMO) and it has a huge variety of mods and skins, including a download manager.

To be honest, for my latest project I used xF and I couldn't be happier. I have another couple of ideas in mind and I will also use xF. My main forum runs vB 4.2 and it runs perfectly fine, although I'm considering converting it to xF since there haven't been any updates in almost a year and looking at the current state of vB5C, I don't think it will receive much attention after 4.2.1 is released, since I assume all developers will be too busy dealing with vB5C.

I never knew that Digital point was run off of Xf, I always thought it was a VB forum.
              They were powered by vBulletin until 2 or 3 months ago.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

This is a vBulletin Pre Sales Questions forum - if you wish to discuss the pros and cons of other forum software, please do so on their own forums or a general discussion site.
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• rudedog1968
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Well vB5 is out if you're looking for add-ons and mods. Who knows when all the other pieces will be released and when they are, how long it will take for them to actually work.

vB4 has issues with IE10 and their wysiwyg which could cause all sorts of problems for your users, depending on their browser and your choice of editor. While who knows when the patch will be released and how it will work with the IE10 issue

You may have to move on if you want to setup and get working on your site today..... good luck with every you choose.
                  Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment