Is there a way to take notes about users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pureturk
    • Jun 2007

Is there a way to take notes about users?

Is there a way for "users" to take notes about other users? Like about their personality, how they like and dislike him or her? Notes that can only be seen by them. For instance someone clicking on my username and lets say there would be an option there in that little popup screen that says "my notes about this user" or whatever, so when you click on that, a little notepad type of page opens up and people writing their thoughts about me which will be useful at a later time when they bump into me in another thread again. Perhaps maybe a mod or so?
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

I doubt people would want to write their thoughts about other members because they would fear the admin will be able to read them.

Comment

• pureturk
      • Jun 2007

So i take it there is no such option or a mod even?

Can admins read private messages?

I know it is possible with a mod but I dont think admins can read private massages, am i correct?

So why cant it be something like that?

Comment

• pureturk
        • Jun 2007

and so what if the admin reads 'em unless if you re planning on murdering the person ..

Comment

• Andy
          • Jan 2002
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by pureturk
          So i take it there is no such option or a mod even?
          There is no such option. I don't know of any mod for this either.

Can admins read private messages?
          Yes they can using phpmyadmin. That's why having the ability to leave your thoughts about other members would worry most members I feel.

Comment

• pureturk
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Andy
            That's why having the ability to leave your thoughts about other members would worry most members I feel.
            I wouldn't worry.
            Would you?
            Whats the big deal?
            I think it'd be a nice option. especially for big boards since you write to so many people everyday. I dont know what kind of an admin would sit and read thousands of notes written by users about others.

Comment

• teach1st
              • May 2000

I'm using a mod ("read pms" v0.7, by Dream) that lets me read PMs. The date on the PHP file is 2007 and it was for vb 3.5. Still works with 4.1.5. Since my members are my students, I have a need to monitor the PMs, but I tell the kids first thing that they're not private. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91369

There are other products at vborg that permit admins to read PMs. I remember the arguments about ethics that always accompany these sorts of mods.

Back to the OP, I wonder if the User Notes function in VB can be used to do what pureturk wants. I've never used it, so I'm not too familiar with how they work.
              Another Fred

Comment

• pureturk
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by teach1st
                I'm using a mod ("read pms" v0.7, by Dream) that lets me read PMs. The date on the PHP file is 2007 and it was for vb 3.5. Still works with 4.1.5. Since my members are my students, I have a need to monitor the PMs, but I tell the kids first thing that they're not private. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91369

There are other products at vborg that permit admins to read PMs. I remember the arguments about ethics that always accompany these sorts of mods.

Back to the OP, I wonder if the User Notes function in VB can be used to do what pureturk wants. I've never used it, so I'm not too familiar with how they work.
                Dont you think my idea would be useful for many people who do not remember the instances they have had with other members?

Comment

• teach1st
                  • May 2000

Dont you think my idea would be useful for many people who do not remember the instances they have had with other members?
                  Just going from my experiences with being an admin at teacher sites, no. My users would not have used the notes.
                  Another Fred

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

There is the ability to leave notes on a user. There are various permissions at usergroup level for this although most sites would, I imagine, only allow Admins to post and view these.
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment