Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skoledin
    • Jan 2002

General Questions

I'm seriously considering using vB as a collaboration forum for a small group of poeple ( (<10 users). vB seems like a great fit for all the basic requirements, but based on a few posts I've seen around here, I'm a little concerned about the attachments feature.

It's absolutely essential that my users be able to easily post attachments (image, mpg, txt, audio, etc.). These attachments will range from a few KB to several MBs (but <10MB each). Will vB/php/MySQL support attachments of this size and type?

Also, this will be an entirely private/members site at the moment. Is is possible to restrict everything to (registered) members only?

Also, if I purchase a 1-year license to test things out, is it possible to just upgrade to the permanent license within a certain time period?

I'd love to hit the purchase button now, but I need some solid answers to these questions before I can move ahead.

Thanks.
  • Scrubby
    • Jan 2002

Attachments: To my knowledge, it can. But my knowledge is usually wrong. .

Restriction: After the members you want to sign up, do indeed sign up, you can turn off registration, and not allow guest to view the board. There may be an easier way. .

Lisence: You can upgrade to the full license for 85 dollars within 30 days. After that, I am unsure. .

Me kinda new to vBulletin.

Comment

• TheBear
      • Jan 2002

Re: General Questions

Hello,

The problem with http uploads is that the http upload has limitations, that is nothing that mysql or php has any control over. Also, each browser may have limitations to do this which vary from browser to browser.

The mail server I run has a webmail interface. I have uploaded I think a max 8 meg file. They say it should be able to handle a bit more, but I have never tried it.

Maybe as an option in 3.x (and I do not know if this would or could work) there could be an option to use WebDAV for the uploading protocol.

As Billy already asnwered, and from what I have seen, you can restrict everything to your registered users only. I am also new to vBulletin, but not to the other web stuff.

Dale

Originally posted by skoledin
      I'm seriously considering using vB as a collaboration forum for a small group of poeple ( (<10 users). vB seems like a great fit for all the basic requirements, but based on a few posts I've seen around here, I'm a little concerned about the attachments feature.

It's absolutely essential that my users be able to easily post attachments (image, mpg, txt, audio, etc.). These attachments will range from a few KB to several MBs (but <10MB each). Will vB/php/MySQL support attachments of this size and type?

Also, this will be an entirely private/members site at the moment. Is is possible to restrict everything to (registered) members only?

Also, if I purchase a 1-year license to test things out, is it possible to just upgrade to the permanent license within a certain time period?

I'd love to hit the purchase button now, but I need some solid answers to these questions before I can move ahead.

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...