Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theguru
    • Dec 2001

Chat Room Upgrade/Mod

I am interested in having access to a chat room when I upgrade to vB and I am wondering if there are any plans by the powers to be to integrate a chat room mod in with the exsisting software package? I don't mind paying the money for a quality product. I have noticed from looking at the vB.org site that all of the Chat Room stuff is a work in progress. If vB does not plan to add a chat room package with their software what does everyone suggest?
  • TheBear
    • Jan 2002

Re: Chat Room Upgrade/Mod

Just about any chat software here you can pass parameters to it can be integrated.

I currently use DigiChat, but it has some limitations (unless you want to spend another $1500 for the tool to access their API).

I am currently looking at Volano Chat as a possible replacement. The VolanoChat is not as colorful or flashy, but seems to have better overall compatibility. It also allows you to send or control just about every aspect of the chat.

There are many other chat programs out there, some in Java (like the above 2) and some using server push to update the postings in the chat room.

Dale

Originally posted by theguru
    I am interested in having access to a chat room when I upgrade to vB and I am wondering if there are any plans by the powers to be to integrate a chat room mod in with the exsisting software package? I don't mind paying the money for a quality product. I have noticed from looking at the vB.org site that all of the Chat Room stuff is a work in progress. If vB does not plan to add a chat room package with their software what does everyone suggest?

Comment

• greggish

I'm also looking to buy a chat script. I looked at Digichat, Volano and ConferenceRoom. I've heard some negative things about Digichat's support...but DigiChat just looks sooooo much better than the other chats...and that's important...at least to me. I think I will be going with Digichat.

Comment

• theguru
        • Dec 2001

Thanks for the replys guys, I think chat software is too rich for my blood.

Comment

• TheBear
          • Jan 2002

Greg,

I would suggest getting the demo and having your users try it out. As it uses (requires) a newer VM level than volanochat, this makes it difficult for some users to use.

If you have access to your server logs with browser info, you should take a look at what browsers your users are using to access your site.

One other thing about DigiChat, unless you buy the multiple site version, you don't have moderated chat, and you don't have http tunneling (to get through firewalls).

Also, in digichat, as it currently is, your chat moderators (if you have any) can not use (per other reports I have gotten, I have not yet tried it myself) the integrated login for them. They will have to either use the seperate applet, or
          a special login webpage you setup.

also, if you want unique user accounts within the chat room, those have to be created manually, otherwise everyone is considered a "guest".

They will also try to get you to buy their bulletin product, or should I say lease. At least a lease was the only option when I was looking at it. For about $495.00 per year.

Granted, it looks nicer, but it will also use more bandwidth with the larger applet and images.

The volanochat does not support dynamic room creation, although they say it is a often requested feature and they are looking into it.

The apparently is a way around that limitation though, but it is a hack and one they can't code for you (seems to be reasonably easy though).

Lots of pros and cons for each. If possible run both and let your users decide.

Dale

Originally posted by greggish
          I'm also looking to buy a chat script. I looked at Digichat, Volano and ConferenceRoom. I've heard some negative things about Digichat's support...but DigiChat just looks sooooo much better than the other chats...and that's important...at least to me. I think I will be going with Digichat.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...