X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moooon
    • Dec 2007

3.8.7 fixes IE9 compatibility issues?

I own a 3.x license (running 3.6), but my service period expired. It seems that I cannot upgrade to 3.8 anymore, and have to pay $50 for the Maintenance Pack. Before doing so, I would like to verify that 3.8.7 fixes the IE9 compatibility issues I#m having with IE9/3.6.?

Thanks.
  • Leadcrow
    • Oct 2010

Youd have to verify IE9 compatibility. Small issues could always get fixed on your site, regardless of wether fixes are officially included.

Since the inexpensive option to renew is getting removed in the next 2 days, I'd advise you renew wether it fixes it or not, or youll be stuck on 3.6 and have only the option to renew for about 175$.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

What issues are you having with IE9?

Comment

• Moooon
        • Dec 2007

Youd have to verify IE9 compatibility.
        Err, yes Hence this post in the "pre-sales questions" forum. There is no other way for me to verify IE9 compatibility unless I pay money, and I guess this forum here is for people who have a question about the product before they buy it?

Comment

• Moooon
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Zachery
          What issues are you having with IE9?
          Using IE9, people cannot enter any text when posting a Thread or Reply unless IE9 is set to "Compatibility Mode".

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Again, what ARE these IE9 issues?

Comment

• Moooon
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Zachery
              Again, what ARE these IE9 issues?
              Crossed posts. The issue is:

Using IE9, people cannot enter any text when posting a Thread or Reply unless IE9 is set to "Compatibility Mode".

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

You can send a header that forces the browser to render in a specific mode, but vBulletin 3.8.x is no longer being actively developed. and it is unlikly that these issues will be fixed.
                though from my testing, only the wysiwyg is acting oddly in IE9, in IE9 mode. The standard editor seems to work fine.

Comment

• Moooon
                  • Dec 2007

Hi Zachery, thanks for the reply. This is the main reason why I was asking, because I can do a

HTML Code:
                  <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
                  just as well in 3.6 as I could do in 3.8, and it costs $50 less Not that I don't mind paying money for good service and software; but at the moment I do not plan to upgrade to 4.0 anyway anytime soon so I personally have no use for most of the new options and features at the moment.

And yes, the problem is in the WYSIWYG editor, which is the default (for obvious reasons) in my forum.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Send the IE8 compatablity header instead, but there are some security and basic improvements in 3.8.

Comment

• Moooon
                      • Dec 2007

Do you mean?

HTML Code:
                      <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />
                      Is there a link to a feature list for 3.8 that I could check? I only seem to be able to find 4.0 stuff currently.

Martin

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

No, however 3.7 added more social networking style things, profile customizations, visitor messaging, etc. I am just saying, for future security, it would be in your best intrests to have 3.8.7 available to you, if a major security issue is discovered. It is of corse your own choice.

Comment

• Leadcrow
                          • Oct 2010

From wikipedia.
                          New features in 3.7 included an inline spam management & prevention system, thread tagging and tag cloud, thread prefixes, reciprocal friendship between users, public visitor messaging on user profile pages, user picture albums, user-created social groups, user-customizable profile pages, a lightbox viewer for images attached to posts, post edit history, a notices system, multiple human verification systems, and social bookmarking integration.

Version 3.8 introduced more new features, such as social group discussions, social group categories, private message sorting and filtering options, private message history, quick edit for newer types of content (visitor messages and picture comments), social group icons, social group transfers, a private message quick reply box, private message throttling (limit messages sent over a time period), private message reporting, profile privacy (limit blocks to a subset of users), lightbox navigation, thread prefix permissions, and dismissible notices.

Comment

• Riasat
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Moooon
                            Do you mean?

HTML Code:
                            <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />
                            Is there a link to a feature list for 3.8 that I could check? I only seem to be able to find 4.0 stuff currently.

Martin
                            Don't use EmulateIE8. Use IE=8.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 5.7.X

To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

If you still have problems after doing this, send an email to [email protected]. Please include your user name, the email address you registered with and your customer number so we can fix the problem.
                              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...