X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • potentialclient
    • Jan 2002

zlib or mod_gzip, which is better?

Hi:
    I'm thinking of purchasing vBulletin, and am currently working with my web host to set up the server. I want to take advantage of VB's compression utlity, and have a question...

I know compression works either using zlib and VB's built-in compression, or mod_gzip. My question is, which one is better? Should I ask my web host to just enable zlib, or mod_gzip, or perhaps both?

Confused...
  • The Prohacker
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

Use mod_gzip, it will compress all of your pages, not just vB... You cannot have both zlip and mog_gzip running at the same time, I think it outputs trash....

Comment

• potentialclient
      • Jan 2002

If my server will be running VB only, which one would you recommend be enabled?

Thanks for any info.

Comment

• TheBear
        • Jan 2002

Hello,

I am also interested in this. I am in the process of setting up new servers for both my main site and the new vBulletin. As I am switching to linux/a[ache for the first time.... what happens if the user's browser doesn't support gzip'd pages? Does the server know this based on the user agent and send un-zipped pages to them?

Sorry for the dumb question, I too am worried about data transfer - my primary site current ships out about 65 gig per month, and that is before adding vb to it.

Thanks

Dale

Originally posted by The Prohacker
        Use mod_gzip, it will compress all of your pages, not just vB... You cannot have both zlip and mog_gzip running at the same time, I think it outputs trash....

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

potentialclient do i know you from some where ?

nah i answered this same question at least 7 times today so i'll post my reply here:

my personal advice, make sure your server has zlib installed and compiled into PHP but install mod_gzip and use mod_gzip first

some configured servers might have problems with mod_gzip but 99% don't have any problems.. that way you cover all your bases

as already noted use one or the other not both at the same time
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• potentialclient
            • Jan 2002

eva2000, I have no idea what you are talking about. You must have mistaken me for someone else <wink>

With zlib, I believe you can control the compression level using VB control panel, while with mod_gzip, you can't. At least that's what someone told me, and if true, wouldn't that put zlib at an advantage?

Comment

• The Prohacker
              • Apr 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by potentialclient
              With zlib, I believe you can control the compression level using VB control panel, while with mod_gzip, you can't. At least that's what someone told me, and if true, wouldn't that put zlib at an advantage?
              There is no noticable speed advantage upon increasing the zlib compression setting, infact it only slows the system down more.....

For help with installing mod_gzip visit this great tutorial: HERE

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...