X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canreef
    • Jan 2002

Single Login

Hello,

I'm using Infopop's UBB now. Can someone tell me why I should migrate to vBulletin? Are there any migration tools to keep my existing member files and forum files? Are there any migration pricing for this?

Also, is there anyway to use vBulletin board's login page to allow members to access their web based e-mails?

Thanks
  • Pingu
    • Jan 2001

I never switched, but I do know there are UBB import scripts and I've seen several posts on this forum from people who succesfully switched from UBB to vB. I know there are import scripts waiting to be downloaded in the members section of vBulletin.

The webbased email thing isn't a standard feature, and I can't remember ever to have seen a hack for it. I thought about making something like that, but this requires the skills of someone who knows what (s)he's doing

Why you should migrate is more of a personal matter I guess. I can only say what I think, and I rate vB above all. But I'm sure people are saying the same thing about UBB.
    Back then, when I was looking for a forum script, I doubted between UBB and vB. I picked vB because I didn't understand the UBB thing with Infopop and all kinds of different versions and all that. vBulletin was crystal clear, so the choice was easily made.
    Never had any regrets, and I can tell you from personal experience that vB support is very good

Comment

• canreef
      • Jan 2002

Hello,

Can some one who has experience migrating from UBB to vB let me know how exactly you do it?

Comment

• samtha25
        • Feb 2001

You run the import script, which is available after you purchase. It will import members, category and forum organization, and messages. Sometimes there are glitches, sometimes not.

Comment

• TheBear
          • Jan 2002

Re: Single Login

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up vBulletin on my server. I also, for paying members will be givung them an email account on my server.

I will be using an integrated login - however, my mail server offers features that make that somewhat easier than most mail servers.

I have the ability to allow users to change their system login (I will use vBulletin for their single login) and then pass the proper info to the mail server which is on another machine.

You will need to have access to the account/password files on your mail server to do something like this. Or, have a mail server that can authenticate against a database (mine can do that as well).

So yes, you can do this, but you need to have software that will work with you. This is more a mail server issue than a vbulletin issue.

Keep in mind however that vBulletin allows usernames that are not valid email names. So in order to use their vBulletin username as their email address, you will need to write a javascript or do some back end name checking.

My solution is that the site username will not always be the same as the email name. That is in part to allow them to hide their email address. Because if the site username was the same as the email address, once people know that, they could simply scan the forums and grab the username and add the domain name to it to spam my users. And that would not make me happy.

Dale

p.s. the main server I use is CommuniGatePro - a very high end product available on just about any Uunix/linux (and Mac OS X) platform out there and windows

Originally posted by canreef
          Hello,

[...]

Also, is there anyway to use vBulletin board's login page to allow members to access their web based e-mails?

Thanks

Comment

• canreef
            • Jan 2002

Hello,

Can you please explain what type of user name may be invalid for e-mail addressing?

BTW, is this only doable with CommuniGatePro? How about the ubiquitous IMail server? Are there any resource I can read for how to do this type of work?

Thanks

Comment

• TheBear
              • Jan 2002

Hello,

I am quite sure that many other mail servers are capable of working with your integrated login - exactly how they would do it I can't say as my experience as a mail admin is limited to a few products.

With CGPro, it supports talking to a database for authentication, and has an API with tools available to access it in perl and java.

The publisher is Stalker software - http://www.stalker.com/

You can read the online docs for CGPro on their site - Just make sure you look at CommuniGate Pro, not CommuniGate for Mac OS.

As to names that would be invalid... I have seen many postings by users on vBulletin forums with spaces in their name. You would have to either remove the space for the email which could then cause a conflict with users that choose that similar name without a space, or convert the space to - or _.

The best thing to do is look up the RFC for valid email addressing.

I will hopefully be implementing this funcitonality in May for my site. Also, CGPro supports MD5 passwords which is what I believe vBulletin now uses.

Good luck!

Dale

Originally posted by canreef
              Hello,

Can you please explain what type of user name may be invalid for e-mail addressing?

BTW, is this only doable with CommuniGatePro? How about the ubiquitous IMail server? Are there any resource I can read for how to do this type of work?

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...