X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basa
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Bandwitdth question

I just found this site and I am thinking about getting the software but had a quick question. I currently use UBB 6.05, and it is absolutly killing me with bandwidth issues. How does vbulletin compare? Is it more bandwitdh efficient?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian Bianchi
    Sebastián J. Bianchi

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I don't know about UBB, but vB gives you the ability to use gzip compression on your pages. Here are my forum stats for comparison:

Members: 1390 (about 4-5 new members per day)
    Monthly bandwidth: about 1.5 Gb
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• basa
      • Jan 2002
      • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Thanks for the fast reply!

Interesting, I have used 18gb of bandwidt, and have had 130761 hits this month. I don't know how many new threads that is though...

Also, I saw that you can import messages, but can you also import users from ubb? And, lastly, where may I see the directions for this import? (to judge how difficult it is).

Thanks,

Sebastian
      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

I don't think the import directions are posted anywhere. I imported all my posts, threads and users from UBB 5.45c without a problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• theguru
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by smachol
          I don't think the import directions are posted anywhere. I imported all my posts, threads and users from UBB 5.45c without a problem.
          Are you saying there is not a script available that allows you to import your users from UBB 6.05 to vBulletin? I thought vBulletin had software available that allows you to import EVERYTHING from UBB (6.05 in my case too) to vBulletin.

Also, so I am clear, what can't I import from UBB 6.05 to vBulletin?

Comment

• theguru
            • Dec 2001

basa

UBB bandwidth is also kicking my butt. I will get my money back in there months from bandwidth savings if I go with vBulletin. I just don't want there to be any surprises when I upgrade and this thread appears to be a little bit of a surprise to me.

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by theguru

Are you saying there is not a script available that allows you to import your users from UBB 6.05 to vBulletin? I thought vBulletin had software available that allows you to import EVERYTHING from UBB (6.05 in my case too) to vBulletin.

Also, so I am clear, what can't I import from UBB 6.05 to vBulletin?
              read http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=35985 take note of UBB versions that the script works with
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by theguru
                Are you saying there is not a script available that allows you to import your users from UBB 6.05 to vBulletin?
                Huh? I didn't say that at all. I was just responding to this question:

And, lastly, where may I see the directions for this import? (to judge how difficult it is).
                I was merely noting that I wasn't aware of the actual instructions being posted anywhere. As eva2000 has stated, there is an import script available.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

If I Recall Correctly, the instructions are inline when you run the script. The process of importing is very simple and straightforward.

1. All you do is download the import package from our members area.
                  2. Upload the files to the proper directory on your server.
                  3. Go into your vBulletin Administration Control Panel.
                  4. Click on Import.
                  5. Follow the instructions onscreen.

The import wizard will walk you through the process.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• theguru
                    • Dec 2001

Thanks everyone, I am about to spend my hard earned money and I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Comment

• basa
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Thanks everyone for responding (and to those who asked more questions). I purchased vbulletin already and I am in the process of migrating. I can report later on how it went if it would help.

Seba
                      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Comment

• theguru
                        • Dec 2001

basa

Yes, it would help!

Comment

• basa
                          • Jan 2002
                          • 3.0.0 Beta 4

This is my second day of trying and so far, nothing doin'. I first downloaded the script files, but downloaded the PHP files and not PHP3 which is what I have. I could not, and still have not, found the PHP3 script files (anyone here know where to find them?), so I went ahead and edited all "PHP" to "PHP3" inside the files as someone suggested in the other forum (I am an IT proffesional and not a developer so it's not easy for me to troubleshoot scripts). I got the files where they needed to be (I think) but now I keep getting this error;

Parse error: parse error in /usr48/home/basa/public_html/forum/importers/bbimport_ubb6.php3 on line 3

I started a thread on the "how to" forum and last night opened up a ticket with support, but have not yet heard. I'll keep you updated on the progress, so far for me it has not been as easy as simply uploading it and following a wizard. I hope to get some help today, because I'm still getting killed with the bandwitdh charges.

Seba
                          Sebastián J. Bianchi

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by basa
                            This is my second day of trying and so far, nothing doin'. I first downloaded the script files, but downloaded the PHP files and not PHP3 which is what I have. I could not, and still have not, found the PHP3 script files (anyone here know where to find them?), so I went ahead and edited all "PHP" to "PHP3" inside the files as someone suggested in the other forum (I am an IT proffesional and not a developer so it's not easy for me to troubleshoot scripts). I got the files where they needed to be (I think) but now I keep getting this error;

Parse error: parse error in /usr48/home/basa/public_html/forum/importers/bbimport_ubb6.php3 on line 3

I started a thread on the "how to" forum and last night opened up a ticket with support, but have not yet heard. I'll keep you updated on the progress, so far for me it has not been as easy as simply uploading it and following a wizard. I hope to get some help today, because I'm still getting killed with the bandwitdh charges.

Seba
                            you mean to say your web host only supports php3 extensions ? only have PHP 3.09 and above or they have PHP 4.0 ?
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• basa
                              • Jan 2002
                              • 3.0.0 Beta 4

No, they do support PHP 4. Now I’m a little more confused, but here is the thread,

Should I change it all to just PHP? Would that work? Did I download the wrong forum software?

Please excuse my ignorance, but is PHP3= PHP 3.x, is just PHP PHP 4?

I will start reading about it, no doubt, but just need a fix to get my forum up and running now.

Seba

ps - I realize that pre-sales has turned into post-sales, but I bought it in the interim, and this might help others who are thinking of buying.
                              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...