X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x YNWA x
    • May 2007

Upgrade charges?!

Hi

Unfortunately I was unable to use my vb purchase for very long due to illness, I just checked to see what version I have and to see if it is compatible with my expired vbseo license and I have 4.02 PL4. So even though I could have sworn I had vbseo working, they tell me a version before 3.5 simply will not work and Ill have to upgrade.
    So they want $35 and you guys want $175 to upgrade a few versions? It is still vbulletin 4. I paid a lot for this so called "owned" license but now you want another $175 on top?

Correct me if I am wrong but did the upgrade / renewal fee not cost under $50 or so in the past?

Why the massive charge?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This changed well over a year ago. Instead of annual renewals, the upgrade now is for all versions of 4.x.

There are two options available to you:

1. If you wish to stay with version 3.8.x, then we have a maintenance option for this circumstance:

To access this option, log into the members area here:

Click on the 'Upgrade/Renew' for our vB 3.x license. Choose the '3.x - 3 months Maintenance Pack' option, then click on 'Continue and follow the rest of the instructions to complete this purchase.

Note: We have released the last version of 3.8.x - 3.8.7. There will be no further development of 3.8 versions, except for a potential security issues if they arise. Also, as of March 31, 2011, this maintenance package will no longer be available for purchase.

2. If you eventually expect to upgrade to vB4 or beyond, then the cost to upgrade your license to vB4 Forums is $175 and to vB4 Suite it's $250. You can view the differences here:

To upgrade your license go to http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

At the top of the page click the Customer Login button, and after you are logged in, click the Purchase button.

There you will find the ability to purchase new licenses, and if you scroll down the page, there is the option to upgrade existing licenses.

If you are upgrading an existing license, in the Upgrade Options column, select the license you want.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

The licensing structure changed about a year and a half ago. You now purchase a version license - vB4 License - and all upgrades for that version are free, no need to pay a yearly fee. Until the end of this month, you could purchase a 3-month maintenance pack which will get you only any upgrades that are released in the next three months. That would get you the latest version, 4.1.2, but that is only available until the end of the month.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• FreshFroot_
        • Jul 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by x YNWA x
        Hi

Unfortunately I was unable to use my vb purchase for very long due to illness, I just checked to see what version I have and to see if it is compatible with my expired vbseo license and I have 4.02 PL4. So even though I could have sworn I had vbseo working, they tell me a version before 3.5 simply will not work and Ill have to upgrade.
        So they want $35 and you guys want $175 to upgrade a few versions? It is still vbulletin 4. I paid a lot for this so called "owned" license but now you want another $175 on top?

Correct me if I am wrong but did the upgrade / renewal fee not cost under $50 or so in the past?

Why the massive charge?
        vBSEO is lying to you. I use 3.0.0 still and it works fine on vb 3.8.7.

They are just trying to get more $$ off you. Don't let them bully you around.

Comment

• yogesh
          • May 2005

They meant with VB 4.x!

Comment

• x YNWA x
            • May 2007

Hi

I mentioned in my first post that I have vbulletin 4 not 3.8. I have been a customer for several years with two licenses (one of which is 3.8.x) and I could have sworn it only used to be around $30 renewals?

So now just to clarify, just to be able to update my existing forums with newer and probably safer code you want another $175 per year?! If you did not have to release updates so often then I would not be so bothered, but we all know that vbulletin has always been an ongoing beta project with updates and fixes all the time. So now Im stuck with this older version which apparantly does not work with vbseo 3.3 which I had paid up to with them.

I think it is goodbye vbulletin for me, shame really. I just wish I was able to sell my licenses!

Thanks for the replies

Nick

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by x YNWA x
              Hi

I mentioned in my first post that I have vbulletin 4 not 3.8. I have been a customer for several years with two licenses (one of which is 3.8.x) and I could have sworn it only used to be around $30 renewals?

So now just to clarify, just to be able to update my existing forums with newer and probably safer code you want another $175 per year?! If you did not have to release updates so often then I would not be so bothered, but we all know that vbulletin has always been an ongoing beta project with updates and fixes all the time. So now Im stuck with this older version which apparantly does not work with vbseo 3.3 which I had paid up to with them.

I think it is goodbye vbulletin for me, shame really. I just wish I was able to sell my licenses!

Thanks for the replies

Nick
              175, for forever, it gets you access to any and all versions of vbulletin 4.x.x.
              The "owned" licenses allow you to run the software forever, but only gave you 12 months of updates. After that we had a renewal of 40/60 (early / late). This is what has gone away, the ability to "renew"
              Nothing would stop you from selling your licenses if you were so inclinded, assuming they haven't been transfered in the last 12 months under the old terms, or once since the license transfer terms changed. If you'd like specifics please start a support ticket

Comment

• funmasti
                • Oct 2009
                • 3.8.x

Why dont you just hire a freelancer for that to get cheap service
                Last edited by funmasti; Tue 22 Mar '11, 10:16pm.
                Mastiya

Comment

• noox
                  • Apr 2001

Just find out that myself. In my opinion they tricked us. They told us two years ago, that we can extend our license for the cheaper price for a couple of years. But now I saw that there is a vB4 license upgrade which costs almost the same as a new license and this is for the whole life time of vB4. If I had known that before I wouldn't have paid für the license extension as I have not done any upgrades until last month.

The idea of the lifetime license in general is not so bad. Only thing is that we now will have faster version jumps. Instead of 4.5 they'll rather name it 5.0.
                  noox, Mountainbike Downhill Board

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

We never said that renewals wouldn't go away, and we were not required to continue offering renewals. Your current license is still valid, you can still use any versions of vBulletin 4 you can download for as long as you like.

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by noox
                      The idea of the lifetime license in general is not so bad. Only thing is that we now will have faster version jumps. Instead of 4.5 they'll rather name it 5.0.
                      That kind of misinformed statement gets thrown around too much these days.

Photo of your crystal ball showing it, or it didn't/won't happen.
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• noox
                        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Zachery
                        We never said that renewals wouldn't go away, and we were not required to continue offering renewals. Your current license is still valid, you can still use any versions of vBulletin 4 you can download for as long as you like.
                        Thanks for the answer. To clarify: I have an old vB3 License which I renewed (I assume for two years) when vBulletin promoted renewals with the old conditions. But this license expires in June 2011. Can I then still download Upgrades of 4.x? If yes, then it was good to extend the licenses.

But if not I probably have to pay 175 for the v4 Upgrade. And then I payed the 2 years license extension for nothing.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Yes, you can download and use any versions of vBulletin 4 available to you in the members area. After the download access expires, you will not get newer versions of vBulletin 4 and if you'd like access to newer versions of vBulletin 4 you will be required to purchase a v4 license.

The old renewals were only avialble before vBulletin 4 presale started. As soon as the vbulletin 4 presale started the old licenses and old renewals were not available.

Comment

• noox
                            • Apr 2001

sh*t happens... maybe I can wait for vB 5 or an other solution

Thanks though!

Comment

• RaceJunkie
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                              The licensing structure changed about a year and a half ago. You now purchase a version license - vB4 License - and all upgrades for that version are free, no need to pay a yearly fee. Until the end of this month, you could purchase a 3-month maintenance pack which will get you only any upgrades that are released in the next three months. That would get you the latest version, 4.1.2, but that is only available until the end of the month.
                              So let me get this right. If I purchase the 3-months support for 3.x I can also d/l the latest version of 4.0? Currently I can only d/l 4.0.6 Patch Level 1

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...