Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iamrichard
    • Mar 2011

vBulletin Reviews Component

I am considering purchasing vBulletin Publishing Suite for a new site I want to develop. I am wondering if their is a reviews component or widget in the works for vBulletin anytime soon or perhaps there is a current one now. I have some Joomla sites and currently use the JReviews Component and I am looking or hoping vBulletin will offer something like that with the Publishing Suite. E.G. Heat Pump Reviews

Can anyone tell me if vBulletin has this already or is it in the works and if so how long will it be before it released?

Thanks
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

It does not have it today and although its been requested many times, I can't saw I've seen a post saying that one was in development.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Arkham
      • Mar 2001
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
      It does not have it today and although its been requested many times, I can't saw I've seen a post saying that one was in development.
      From what they've stated, work is being focused on features allowing for the creation of custom content types, of which one example that will be released is a reviews-type.

Other than that, we're in the dark.

Comment

• Alfa1
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

The feature request ranks high and can be voted for here:
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Arkham
          • Mar 2001
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
          The feature request ranks high and can be voted for here:
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-10434
          Vote for this instead: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-10048

The both of those should be merged so that we can end up with a flexible CCK to do reviews, directories, and more.

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

I don't have high hopes that the custom content type creator will be successful or very useful.
            Surely its possible to create some custom content builder that covers some very basic needs, but I highly doubt that it will allows us to create full blown reviews functionality.
            I hope I am wrong though.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Arkham
              • Mar 2001
              • 4.1.x

I don't have high hopes that the custom content type creator will be successful or very useful.
              Surely its possible to create some custom content builder that covers some very basic needs, but I highly doubt that it will allows us to create full blown reviews functionality.
              I hope I am wrong though.
              That's the problem, though. Either we have sufficient flexibility via a CCK/custom content type, or we're looking at another add-on that people will cry cash-grab about.

Gallery add-ons that people are dying for are an example. They are so far out of line with what vB should be offering, when something more important like a Reviews/links add-on are barely on the radar.

vB's not going to give us a one-stop answer for all of our problems. The key is to be able to either integrate with third-party solutions or to be given an open-ended system that we can use to create our own.

I would love to have a reviews system, but it could be so much more if we had the ability to repurpose it for expanded uses. That's where the CCK side of things comes in.

I agree with you on the necessity of reviews functionality, but I think we should be demanding a more open-ended solution rather than another fork in the road.

Ideally I'd like to be able to set up a fully-integrated jReviews/Sobi/Mosetts situation, but hey, that would require some serious api framework.

(Someone should copy and paste the jReviews feature list into the Reviews request in Jira. )

Comment

• Alfa1
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

Agreed on all points!
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Arkham
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 4.1.x

Agreed on all points!
                  (Phew!)

I have to say that one recent post gave me additionally hope. Someone mentioned that Adrian (?) referred to the Mobile API as the start of a more global interface with 3rd-party software. I really, really hope that we can look forward to better (any?) integration with established software/scripts/whatchamacallits.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Is there any news if a reviews content type will be added in the foreseeable future?

Vote here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-10434
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• punchbowl
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 4.0.x

0/10

They only chink of light in the gloom is that the custom content type creator relies on the ckeditor and should follow after that and was never going to happen before.

However that is speculation based on nothing more than the ckeditor doing custom forms well.

Comment

• pieceofpie
                        • Feb 2003
                        • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                        Look forward to it launching, if ever.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...