Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thefly1
    • Mar 2011

Some basic questions about startup please

I am thinking of starting up a forum, as Im new to all this I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few answers please.
    1. If I purchase vbulletin, am I only paying for the program?
    2. Do I have to get a seperate host?
    3. If I have to get a seperate host I just run the vbulletin thru their site?
    4. This would not be a money making exercise, just trying to start something for a hobby because a group of us are not happy with our current forum, and wish to make a "breakaway" forum.
    So basicly what Im asking is are these the costs associated with starting a forum.
    Thanks guys for your help
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

1. You pay for the license to download and install vBulletin plus support (30 days ticket access for forums only, product lifetime ticket access for the Publishing Suite plus permanent forum support for both)

2. Yes. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 5.2) and MySQL (minimum 4.1.0) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

Most credible hosts now support both PHP and MySQL, and can run our software. We do not make official recommendations, but we do have a hosting review forum here:

Discuss PHP and MySQL hosting here. Find out which hosts people like, and which to stay well clear of.

You can also look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com, an independent review site. Sometimes you will find hosting specials there that aren't available elsewhere on the web.

3. You can set it up so that you only have vBulletin there or that it's part of a site - it's up to you and your wants/needs

4. License: $195 or $285 depending on what you choose. You will also have the domain and the hosting costs which can vary widely depending on what you go for.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• thefly1
      • Mar 2011

Excellent and thanks for your help, will def be going for it now, Thanks again

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...