Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kipster
    • Jan 2002

number of people at once

anyone have an idea how many people can be on the board at once? I know this is a general question but average...

I have gotten this from a few boards.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later
    but I believe they got slammed with tons of users..
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

This figure completely depends on your server and host. For example, some boards have many hundreds of concurrent online users, and cope fine, but others can only cope with 100 or less.

vBulletin imposes no limit, it is simply set by either the administrator or the server hardware. The maximum number of online users is a configurable option in the control panel, as well as the maximum unix server load allowed.

Comment

• kipster
      • Jan 2002

ok thought would be your answer... thanks.

Comment

• kipster
        • Jan 2002

I guessing eDevBoards - Commmunity for Web Developers is your site well, anyway nice site I booked marked it......

Comment

• JamesUS
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kipster
          I guessing eDevBoards - Commmunity for Web Developers is your site well, anyway nice site I booked marked it......
          Thank you

Comment

• theguru
            • Dec 2001

JamesUS

I have a question for you. I am thinking about upgrading from another product to vBulletin and I am wonder how many concurrent (I think this is the right term for users at the same time) users my server should be able to handle? My dedicated server is a P3 933 with 512MB Ram. In the fall I expect a minimum of 50,000 page views a day. What do you (or anyone else) suggest for me?

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by theguru
              JamesUS

I have a question for you. I am thinking about upgrading from another product to vBulletin and I am wonder how many concurrent (I think this is the right term for users at the same time) users my server should be able to handle? My dedicated server is a P3 933 with 512MB Ram. In the fall I expect a minimum of 50,000 page views a day. What do you (or anyone else) suggest for me?
              number of pageviews/day is not the more useful guage of vB performance... a better criteria is the number of concurrent users you expect on your forum

properly tweak mysql, apache and php settings for a P3 933 could probably handle 100 - 250 concurrent users comfortable you might need more memory if you get more users then that
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• theguru
                • Dec 2001

eva2000

What is the relationship between memory and vBulletin? Is memory more important that CPU speed? I know almost nothing about this sort of thing.

Comment

• George L
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.8.x

from what i understand

vB uses PHP/MySQL mainly

PHP likes more cpu power first then memory
                  MySQL likes more memory first, than fast disk access, then cpu power

So in general i'd prefer more memory first, and scsi disks since they lower cpu usage compared to eide disks, then cpu power

my signature has alot of links to mysql articles etc and some to vB/Mysql related articles i compiled

a good start is this page and subsequent links http://www.mysql.com/doc/O/p/Optimising_the_Server.html
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• theguru
                    • Dec 2001

Thanks, your reply helps but a lot of the links are over my head.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...