• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trystan^
    • Jan 2007
    • 3.6.x

some questions

Hey All

I will be coming back to VB shortly but i have a few questions before i do to help me out,

Conversion - First is importing from other software,
    I have a phpbb3 board currently I understand that importing this data is easy?
    would it be possible to import multiple phpbb boards into a single vb board?

Publishing - Cross Publising, is it possible to create a blog entry, create it as an article and as a forum topic?

Layout - can articles exist in more than one catagory or section?

Tags - is it possible to set a Tag bassed on a person that has made a post, IE i want to show to all others reading the forum that a specific user has posted in a topic.

Facebook - looking at this forum there is a big facebook contect button at the top, what exactly does this do, i see you can like posts can it do anyhing else?

Feed Import - Is it possible to import an API Feed? reading through i found this may be possible and that VB were palling this in the future, posts i read were from last year,

Im sure i will have more questions, thanks in advance,
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Trystan^
    Hey All

I will be coming back to VB shortly but i have a few questions before i do to help me out,

Conversion - First is importing from other software,
    I have a phpbb3 board currently I understand that importing this data is easy?
    would it be possible to import multiple phpbb boards into a single vb board?
    Yes, you can use Impex to make multiple imports consecutively into vBulletin.

Publishing - Cross Publising, is it possible to create a blog entry, create it as an article and as a forum topic?
    You could create it as a Forum post then use the promote function to create it in a Blog and Article.

Layout - can articles exist in more than one catagory or section?
    They can exist in more than one category but only once per section - however parent sections can pull content in from sub-sections to display them.

Tags - is it possible to set a Tag bassed on a person that has made a post, IE i want to show to all others reading the forum that a specific user has posted in a topic.
    No, tags are generic and can be used by all or not at all.

Facebook - looking at this forum there is a big facebook contect button at the top, what exactly does this do, i see you can like posts can it do anyhing else?
    The Facebook functionality allows us to do several things:

1. Enable new members to join our community without the need to go through the full registration process
    2. Allow our members to post links to posts they make on their Facebook wall automatically where they choose to* for others to read
    3. 'Like' a thread and have a link to the thread automatically posted on their Facebook wall for others to read

*Publishing of posts to your Facebook wall only happens if you tick the 'Publish to Facebook' box beside the button to submit your post. If you don't tick that box, nothing goes to Facebook. It is an option that is available to you - it's not mandatory.

For points 2 and 3, this functionality will make it easier - no more having to copy and paste the link to the thread then post it on your wall, the forum software will do that for you should you choose the option.

Feed Import - Is it possible to import an API Feed? reading through i found this may be possible and that VB were palling this in the future, posts i read were from last year,
    I don't believe so. Do you have a link we can test it out on?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Trystan^
      • Jan 2007
      • 3.6.x

thanks

Hey Trevor,

Thank you for the information very useful i have some follow ups if you dont mind,

Import - Will it directly go into the latest version of VB4 or would i have to use 3.8 as i was reading this forum and that could be the case,

API Feed - I basically would like to import an XML Feed instead of an RSS feed, I can PM you a link if you would like?

Mods - How easy is it to install a MOD and if i did will i need to manually change theme files, as you have to do this in phpbb and it stresses me out,

Comment

• koraykose
        • Feb 2011
        • 4.1.x

test

Test

Comment