X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheBear
    • Jan 2002

one last pre-sales question :)

Hello,

I don't expect you to give me the detailed info prior to purcahse, but hopefully you can at least verify that after purchase this info will be available to me

I will be integrating the rest of my site into the vBulletin membership system. As my site currently uses a different technology, I need to do the coding myself (as opposed to using the php forum add on). So, the question is, will I have access to the information stored in the cookie(s) used by vBulletin after I purchase so that I can properly integrate the systems?

Thanks

Dale

p.s. just confirmed tonight that if the info is available to me for this integration, this will be 4 copies of vBulletin
  • WizyWyg
    • Jul 2001

IF the "site" is on the same domain as your vbulletin, then you shouldn't have any problems with cookies.

but if your vbulletin is on a different "domain name" or a "subdomain" of your site, then you will run into problems.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• JamesUS
      • Aug 2000

Actually I'm pretty sure you can work around the problem if the forum is on a subdomain by setting cookie path to '.domain.com'. But you do have a problem if the forum is on it's own domain.

Comment

• TheBear
        • Jan 2002

Clarification.

My site is not written in php. Therefore, in order to access certain functionality on my existing site, I need to know what data is in the cookie so I can continue to track users through the site.

There are other databases that certian users will need to access based on their login. I plan on taking my existing login system and moving it over to the vBulleting model.

So just as right now as a non-owner of vBulletin, I can not post in certain forums, which they can tell based on my user info or session id that is passed in a cookie from page load to page load, I need to know what that info is so I can also use it while my visitors are accessing non-php pages.

So I just need to know if I will have a description of what data is in the cookie that is used to track sessions.

Thanks

Dale

p.s. domain v.s. subdomain doesn't enter into the problem. All pages will be on the same domain.

Comment

• chrispadfield
          • Aug 2000

all that is in the cookie for user reference is a sessionid. The main data is in a table in the mySQL database. You would need some server side language to access the user information if you want to use it in other sections of your site.
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk
          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• TheBear
            • Jan 2002

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I guess the important thing is, is the basic information provided (where the session ID is in the db, etc) that will let me implement this in my other server side tools? I can access an SQL db via ODBC using this other tool. I will be moving my site over to php, but need to run the site with both tools/languages for a while until everything is integrated.

Thanks

Dale

Originally posted by chrispadfield
            all that is in the cookie for user reference is a sessionid. The main data is in a table in the mySQL database. You would need some server side language to access the user information if you want to use it in other sections of your site.

Comment

• chrispadfield
              • Aug 2000

Yes, you can get the information you need by querying the database but you are going to have to get your application to query the database, there would not be enough information (or security) in only using the information from the cookies.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• TheBear
                • Jan 2002

Hi, I can query the database, as long as I know what to query for

I have been told that php is not that different from the tool I am currently using, and the tool I use can query an SQL database.

So as long as I know what to query for, that will let me integrate my existing site into the vBulletin membership system until I can move the 15 databases and all the search and add code over to php and mySQL.

Thanks

Now I just have to figure out how many copies to buy. I am getting a lot of ideas (and I can't stand to pass up a discount!)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...