Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aboveboard
    • Jan 2002

Suggestion for change

At the vB board I post at, people are always asking where the Logout button is.

I see it's actually in the HTML to appear on the top of every page, but it's been commented out.

Now it only appears at the bottom of the main menu page, and only after you've logged in, so you might never see it when you first go looking for it.

So the suggestion would be, put it back on top.
    If that caused problems, at least put it near the login slots (the standard convention is greyed out for options that are sometimes available and sometimes not, rather than invisible)

And while you're at it, you could move both the login and logout to the top of the main menu.
    Last edited by aboveboard; Mon 7 Jan '02, 12:48pm.
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

It's commented out at the top because the addition of that icon makes the page scroll horizontally on 800x600.

Comment

• aboveboard
      • Jan 2002

That sounds pretty weak as an excuse.
      I just shifted to 800x 600 and it looks like there's lots of room on the same line.

Also, on the board I'm posting on they simply wrapped to the next line.

And if it's just a quicky bug fix, then maybe it's time to consider making a different fix that doesn't sacrifice the feature.

Comment

• WizyWyg
        • Jul 2001

Originally posted by aboveboard
        I just shifted to 800x 600 and it looks like there's lots of room on the same line.

And if it's just a quicky bug fix, then maybe it's time to consider making a different fix that doesn't sacrifice the feature.
        Acutally there isn't enough room. I've commented it in just to see what it looks like and it does "scroll" the page sideways. And its not a weak excuse since there is a convenient LOG OUT link at the bottom of the forum's main page (in text format since WE want people who have graphics turned off to be able to log out). The log OUT link can be moved to the top with some minor template editing.

again also, its up to the vb owner to do what he or she wants with the cosmetic design of it.
        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

As a vBulletin owner, administrators are free to place a link wherever they like for their users. The default templates are just that - templates, provided for them to customize as they see fit.

It is not an 'excuse'. There are many many users still on 800x600 and our default templates are designed to work correctly, without horizontal scrolling, on the widest possible number of resolutions and browsers.

It also is not a bug fix. There was never a bug. It was never visible in the first place. It was provided as an alternate way of showing the logout link, available if the admin wants to use it.

All of that said, WizyWyg is right. Even if the logout button was provided in the default templates, the administrator can remove it - or comment it out - in about 15 seconds. The inverse also applies - if the admin wanted to provide the button, they merely have to uncomment it. You are talking to the wrong people. The templates are not meant to be used as-is, they are intended to be customized and fit to how the site wants to use them.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

This board you are posting at ..

Originally posted by aboveboard

Can you provide us with an URL, so I can test the 800x600? And maybe see for alterations.

Fnx.

If you 'would' be the administrator, you can ask the admin to alter the 'proper' template and just comment out the commenting :P then the logout button re-appears.

If he doesn't know how, let him enter his license information in the members area and then ask for support on the support forum on this site.

Comment