X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conq
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.0.x

A return to vB3.x simplicity?

Hello, I actually have a vB 4 serial already, I had to buy one to continue using my 3.x forum. I hated it though when I tried it early on and since then have ignored my investment. The clean, simplistic professionalism was gone.

My question, has it improved? Is there a button where you can turn on the legacy look similar to the legacy post bit option in vB3? If not, build one... please. Professional websites, at least in the gaming genre are not using this clunky interface. I'm continually shocked when I see new, high dollar game company forums appearing with vB3 software. It was simple and easily customized with little baggage.

I could keep using vB3 but I realize it's becoming more legacy every day, I will have to upgrade sometime and if you can't come up with something better I will be switching to XenForo which already looks like what VB4 should have been.
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Conq
    My question, has it improved? Is there a button where you can turn on the legacy look similar to the legacy post bit option in vB3? If not, build one... please. Professional websites, at least in the gaming genre are not using this clunky interface. I'm continually shocked when I see new, high dollar game company forums appearing with vB3 software. It was simple and easily customized with little baggage.
    Is that your biggest concern, is the postbit? You can use the new postbit (horizontial) or the legacy postbit (vertical), it's an option in the AdminCP. Or are you talking about a switch to make VB4 look like VB3? That comment is a little confusing.

VB 4.1 is acceptable to use and improvements are continuing. However, I do believe you need to have a better technical understanding of the underpinnings to customize to exactly how you may want it to appear. Styling is arguably the most time consuming task if you are starting from scratch. Modifications are very similar to VB3, a good percentage of mods that worked on VB3.8 would work on VB4.
    To be updated...

Comment

• Conq
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.0.x

Sorry, I guess my post turned into a rant more than question. I was using the vB3.x "legacy postbit" option as an example, I wish I could hit a button and make vB4 look like vB3. I was just blown away by how unrecognizably different vBulletin had become in 4. This was one of the many complaints I read about vB4 in the beginning and I was hoping in time they would bring back some of the old look and organization. I guess it hasn't so I will simply keep waiting and continue using vB3 until I can't anymore and upgrade to something else.

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Hmm. I think VB4 feels clunky with the default skin, it feels much better with a custom skin. The CSS is much more friendly to use in VB4 I think, I've seen some fairly ingenious styles using VB4.

I'm a tech at heart and much more concerned about the performance as opposed to the appearance and touchy-feely stuff. One of my business partners, who is a female, is much more rigid on the appearance and feel of things.

If it says anything, an older site that I'm kind of in competition with, finally made a huge leap from vb3.0 to vb4.1.0... they are still styling and doing touch up work as their site was heavily modded prior to moving to 4.1.0.
        To be updated...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...