How can I tell which forums I can post on?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aboveboard
    • Jan 2002

How can I tell which forums I can post on?

Your procedures are not very user-friendly.

I've just spent a day going around and around trying to post a question here. It kept saying I wasn't enabled or something, so I tried to sign up again and it still didn't work.

Your terminology isn't very user-friendly either. I couldn't change my password because I didn't know the original one. All I had was a "Activation ID". Is that supposed to be the password, becaust that didn't work either.

I ended by asking for replacement password, which took three steps, lots of hours of delays due to email transit times, and still no way to post.

Now I see there are some forums open to me and some aren't.
    Which ones can I use?

I was trying to post to "vBulletin 2 Suggestions and Feedback"
    If I want to make a suggestion, where am I supposed to post it?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I'm not sure which forums are open to unlicensed users. I believe they are the Pre-Sales and Chit Chat forums. You can find out which ones are open to you by going to the specific forums and looking at the 'Forum Rules' at the bottom of the page.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TheBear
      • Jan 2002

Steve,

I too ran into that problem. I would suggest that the forum rules be at the top of the page. Better yet, have some sort of at least color coding on the forums to give a visual indication of whether a user can post ot not. And as I believe someone suggested for the next major version, don't display the new thread or reply buttons if a user can't do those things in that forum.

Regards,

Dale

Originally posted by smachol
      I'm not sure which forums are open to unlicensed users. I believe they are the Pre-Sales and Chit Chat forums. You can find out which ones are open to you by going to the specific forums and looking at the 'Forum Rules' at the bottom of the page.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Not a bad idea at all. However these forums are set to display vB as it appears 'out-of-the-virtual-box' so it's not practical to make this change here until the default vB changes.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Actually vBulletin ships with a feature that informs you whether you can post in a forum or not. If you can't post in a forum, on the index page there should be a lock on top of the new post indication.

If the locks aren't there, I will do what I can to get the feature turned on here.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TheBear
            • Jan 2002

Steve and Wanye,

Thaks for the reply. To Steve, I agree that running it here in the default configuration is the right thing to do, gives a potential buyer a good idea what it looks like - maybe this should be stated someplace?

To wanye, thanks, I think it would really help to have that visual indicator. There are some forums in the list with a lock, and I never even tried to enter those as I assumed (maybe correctly, maybe wrongly) that I would not even be able to read them.

I do see the forum rules at the bottom of the page, but I would suggest that many people would see a post they would like to reply to prior to reaching the end of the page, thereby never seeing this information.

Thanks again for the answers to this and other questions. I will be buying soon, once I finish getting my server setup.

Dale

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...