X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheBear
    • Jan 2002

License/Setup question

Hello,

I am looking to purchase vBulletin to add to my existing site. I also would like to have one of the categories from site A to be viewable on siteB, which is a new site I would be launching. Is this possible?

e.g. site A has vBulletin with 5 categories (hope I am using the proper terms), site B would also have its own vBulletin license, but I would like both site to use the same membership database and on site B have its own categories, but to also show the 1 category (and allow posting to) from site a.

This is a key thing for me to purchase the software. Both the shared membership and the shared category.

Thanks

Dale
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

What you are asking is not possible in the "out of the box" vBulletin but it is possible with some modifications of the code files.

Both sites would have to be on the same server and have access to the same database for it to work even with hacking.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TheBear
      • Jan 2002

Wayne,

Thanks for the reply, yes both sites will be on the same server and will use the same database. The server is mine so that aspect is not a problem.

As I am just starting with php, been doing other stuff for some time, is this, in your opinion, a major thing to do, or a not so hard thing?

My timeline is to get my primary site integrated with vBulletin, then, probably this summer launch the second site. Or if it would not be that big of a deal to do, I would of course want to launch it (the second site) sooner Of more importance than the shared forums is the shared membership. I really want to let my users have a single login.

Ideally, there would eventually be 4 websites that I would want to share the same login data and have some shared categories across these sites. The shared categories would have a "home" site, then be shared on one other domain only. If this all takes off, eventually I would have a dedicated database server.

Thanks

Dale

Originally posted by wluke
      What you are asking is not possible in the "out of the box" vBulletin but it is possible with some modifications of the code files.

Both sites would have to be on the same server and have access to the same database for it to work even with hacking.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Hmm... The level of programming to make the changes is not advanced. However doing it right would take time, energy and testing.

I have actually done something like you are asking for another site that unfortunately didn't have enough startup capital to officially launch the project. However if you would like to email me privately, I can discuss this with you in more detail.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...