X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff
    • May 2001

cpu usage

Hey all,

I have one small vbulletin board running already, and am contemplating starting up another for a friend, and because of my experience with my first small board, I'm concerned about resource usage. Perhaps someone can give some guidance...

On my "small" board, which is running 2.0.0 (yeah yeah, I know, upgrade it already), there are maybe 20 or 30 active users, with a small number of postings per month. The highest month we've had so far only saw 250 posts.

During that month, my account cpu usage hit 21,000 cpu seconds, which is 6 seconds over my 15,000 cpu second allotment. At $3.75 per extra 1000 seconds, this starts to add up quickly, especially considering that there are so few users on my board.

Now, this potential new board for my friend has an anticipated usage of about 10x my current small board, maybe 200 active users and 2000 posts a month. If things scale in a linear fashion, then we're talking what, 150,000 cpu cycles and something like $450+ cpu in overage charge. OUCH! For only 200 users!

So... am I doing my math wrong? Is my webhosting company charging too much? Am I expecting too much?

Or am I doing somthing wrong on my small board that's causing an undue burdon on the cpu? (will upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2 use less cpu?)

Ok, I know... lots of questions.. but I truly do value any and all advice on this!

jeff

vBulletin3 RC4
    CPU: single AMD Duron 1ghz, 1gig ram, 40gig HD
    PHP version: 4.2.2
    MySQL version: 3.23.58
    Average users: 150-200
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

For $450 per month you could get a nice dedicated server.

I think your host is ripping you off. Most do not charge for 'cpu seconds' (I have never even heard of that). Not to mention with only 250 posts per month they must be giving you a tiny amount of CPU usage...

Comment

• jeff
      • May 2001

Thanks, tubedog, for the lightning fast response...

I've been thrilled with my webhosting company otherwise... 250meg of space, 25gig bandwidth/month, 10 pop mailboxes, $5 for each additional domain name hosted, on a pretty zippy Sun server, with fantastic admin support.

And yes, I'm sure $450 would get me a lot more, but what I really want to spend is <$100.

So your saying that most hosting companies don't charge for cpu usage if your paying low rent (i.e., not paying for a dedicated server)?

thanks!

vBulletin3 RC4

Comment

• JamesUS
        • Aug 2000

I have never heard of a hosting company charging for CPU usage. They may complain if you use too much, but they won't charge extra. Your usage sounds extremely low anyway.

Seeing as you can spend $100 and below, maybe you should consider a server at RackShack.net. Get one of their AMD Duron offerings for $99/month with 300GB bandwith and use as much CPU/RAM/space as you need.

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

definitely go host hunting charging by cpu cycles
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

Originally posted by jeff
            I've been thrilled with my webhosting company otherwise... 250meg of space, 25gig bandwidth/month, 10 pop mailboxes, $5 for each additional domain name hosted, on a pretty zippy Sun server, with fantastic admin support.
            Just out of curiosity how much are you paying per month right now?

So your saying that most hosting companies don't charge for cpu usage if your paying low rent (i.e., not paying for a dedicated server)?
            Right. I have never seen that anywhere, dedicated or not!

Comment

• jeff
              • May 2001

Originally posted by tubedogg
              Just out of curiosity how much are you paying per month right now?
              $60/month.

I've went ahead this morning and signed up for the $99 dedicated server option at RackShack. Setting things up for my friend right now. Thanks so much for the advice!

jeff

vBulletin3 RC4

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

$60 a month?!?!?!?!?!

Crikes for $60 a month I could get 3 accounts of the specs you mentioned at my host!

Comment

• Maiji
                  • Jan 2002

ARGGHH!

I'm planning on using ZenoHost on $8 a month! They claim it'll be fine but now I'm not so sure. Can I put a restriction on the bandwidth used so that when its busy it won't allow users on or something????

Comment

• rockergrrl
                    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by tubedogg
                    $60 a month?!?!?!?!?!

Crikes for $60 a month I could get 3 accounts of the specs you mentioned at my host!
                    More like 6, if you just count just yours.... hehe

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...