Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidThompson
    • Oct 2010

Forum software advice needed

Hello All ... we want to migrate our sites current forum (proprietary built) to a newer, more modern (feature rich) platform. I've been looking around at the available options and have narrowed it down to vBulletin, Vanilla or Phorum (unless you have another suggestion ?). I hope someone here can give me some feedback on their experiences either migrating to a new forum or working deeply with one.

The current forum we have has approx 2.2 million threads in it and is contained in a MySQL database. Data Migration is obviously the first issue, is one of the major Forum vendors better or worse in this regard ?

The software needs to be able to be clustered and cached to ensure availability and performance.

We want it to be PHP based and store it's data in MySQL.

The code needs to be open to allow us to highly customise the software both to strip out a lot of stuff and be able to integrate our sites features. A lot of the forums I've looked at have a lot of duplicate features to our main site, in particular member management, profiles etc. I realise we'll have to do a good bit of development in removing these and tieing it all back to the main site so we want to find a platform that makes this kind of integration as easy as possible.

Finally I guess if 'future proofing' the forum (as best as possible) given the above. Which platform will allow us to customise it but also allow us to keep instep with upgrades. Which forum software has the best track record for bringing online new features in a timely manner ? etc. etc.

Obviously I'm hoping I can find out here why vBulletin is the best solution for our needs ?
  • we_are_borg
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

2.2 Million posts should not be a problem there sites bigger then that running on vBulletin. vBulletin it self is written in PHP and as database MySQL so you need to convert the database you have to the format that vBulletin understands this should not pose a problem but passwords and permissions are usually the biggest issues that you will face. Because you do not use one of the standard solutions you need to write your own converter.

The Clustered part some one that runs on multiple servers need to answer that one, caching is possible PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, eAccelerator) are supported.

vBulletin is written in PHP and MySQL and you have full access to the source code the problem is that when you strip or add code in the PHP files you can't easlly upgrade to the next version but vBulletin has whats called hooks that are everywhere in the software so you can hook on your own code trough that. On vBulletin.org you can read more about that there nice mods out there all ready.

Solutions are usually personal for one it works others it does not work at all.

Comment

• turner23x
      • Nov 2010

thnx for the info borg
      stream movies
      Last edited by turner23x; Wed 5 Jan '11, 10:19pm.

Comment

• DavidThompson
        • Oct 2010

thank you for your feedback borg

Comment

• we_are_borg
          • Aug 2004
          • 4.2.X

No problem the questions i did not answer you need to ask other that know about clustering and so on.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...