X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worried
    • Dec 2008
    • 4.2.X

Disadvantages of IP.B's hosted forums

My understanding is IP.B forums comes as hosted plans. It took me months to find the right host for my vB forum. I'm currently on a VPS. What would be the disadvantages of using IP.B hosted forums?
  • Garthilk
    • Dec 2009

IP.B comes as hosted plans, or just as plain old vanilla software that you can add to your own VPS.

Comment

• we_are_borg
      • Aug 2004
      • 4.2.X

Is it not smarter to ask questions about IPB on there forum, this is pre-sale of vBulletin.

Comment

• worried
        • Dec 2008
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by we_are_borg
        Is it not smarter to ask questions about IPB on there forum, this is pre-sale of vBulletin.
        True but they would be more likely to sugar coat the problems. I didn't realize I could put the software on my own server. It may be more problematic but I like choosing my own host provider as I did with my vB forum. Also, I don't like the idea of shared hosting. One site could bring the whole server down.

Comment

• we_are_borg
          • Aug 2004
          • 4.2.X

Well i have a server at serverbasar there good and very cheap for EU standards. But when i was on shared hosting with my forums i had no troubles at all but if i can't have a dedicated server for any reason i would take a VPS.

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by worried
            True but they would be more likely to sugar coat the problems. I didn't realize I could put the software on my own server. It may be more problematic but I like choosing my own host provider as I did with my vB forum. Also, I don't like the idea of shared hosting. One site could bring the whole server down.
            IPB's main product line is their IP.Board forum, IP.Discussion blog, etc. Hosted Communities (formerly Invision Free Forum) is a side business for them.

Go to http://community.invisionpower.com/ and you'll see that Hosted Communities is a tiny part of the site. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare IP.Board to vBulletin.

Comment

• Abomination
              • Jul 2008

I had the smallest hosted community for about 6 months for testing purposes, I was the only person that used it though so I've no idea how the performance is.

Seemed to work the same as our ip.board which is now on our own account. I would do the math and see if it makes sense with your number of users online from a financial point of view.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...