E-mail notification when subcribing to a "forum"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greggish

E-mail notification when subcribing to a "forum"?

I need to know if you can set vB to do email notification to users subcribed to a particular forum whenever a new thread is added to that forum. I tried subcribing to forums on this board and other vB boards and it seems that this feature does not exist. I realize that most people would never want to do this, but this feature would be necessary for my site. Thanks.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This is not a feature at this time. If it's just a small group of users that you want to get emails then you could add their email addys manually under the forum's Moderation Options.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• greggish

Well I guess that's strike 3 for me and my hopes to use vB to build my sites. I'm in the planning stages of doing a scholarship site and an internship site and was looking at vBulletin as a near perfect alternative to the very unimpressive classifieds scripts out there. The only half decent classifieds script I came across was e-classifieds.net, but it's cgi (resource hog and slow) and costs as much as $1,000. So, I was hoping that vBulletin might have the flexibility for me to bend it a little into a classifieds posting board, but after getting "not a feature at this time" to the 3 most important features I could think of to let me use it, I guess I will have to move on to a CMS like PostNuke for now. I also checked to see if there were hacks that addressed these issues but couldn't find any. I realize that vB is not meant to be a classifieds script, I was just hoping I could use it. Maybe in version 3.0 vBulletin will be a little more flexible in what you can set in the admin. I'll check back then. The 3 features I asked about over the last couple of weeks were:

1. Attachments in PM's (allows a user to send a resume as a word doc directly to an employer)

2. The ability to prevent certain usergroups from being listed in the member list. I would only want scholarship sponsors and companies listing internships to be listed and be searchable. But I also need others to be able to register so they can subcribe to and save specific posts to their CP.

3. Email notification whenever a new scholarship or internship is posted to a specific category "forum" that a user is subscribed to.

Anyway, thanks for the info and putting up with all my questions.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

1) would be fairly easy to hack in.
        2) would take literally 20 seconds to hack in.
        3) there is a hack available for this.

Comment

• greggish

Originally posted by tubedogg
          1) would be fairly easy to hack in.
          2) would take literally 20 seconds to hack in.
          3) there is a hack available for this.
          Could you point me to the hack for 3) (email notification for new thread posts in subscribed forums)? I tried searching vBulletin.org, but didn't see it, maybe I wasn't searching the right terms. Also, if it's really as easy as you say to do 2), I would re-think using vB. I could probably even get along without the PM attachments hack for now if that one is a little harder to do.

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

2) is extemely simple as I think I mentioned in the thread where you asked about it, because there is already a function to exclude certain usergroups from being displayed on the Member List; it would be a matter of adding some numbers to a line in one of the files.

3) http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ighlight=email

Comment

• greggish

Thanks very much for the info. It looks like I'll be taking the plunge and be buying two owned licenses pretty soon.

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

great Glad I could help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...