Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Desibabu19
    • Feb 2006

How to split the forum ?

I have a forum with 35,000 members and 320 K posts. I like to split the forum and move part of it to another website.

I understand I need to buy a second vb license. That is not an issue.

But I am not sure about how to go about doing this. Once I have a clear picture I will buy the second license.

Let us say I have current site www.abc.com with forums f1-f20.

I like to split the forums as below.

www.abc.com will have f1 to f10.

www.xyz.com will have f11 to f20.

I want to use the same user login database between abc.com and xyz.com.

1) Can I copy current database in abc.com to xyz.com and delete unnecessary forums in both abc.com and xyz.com ? Will it work ?

2) How can I change the mysql data base name in new website xyz.com ?

3) If I use the abc.com database in xyz.com, how do I link the database name to new website ?

4) what setting changes I have to make in xyz.com to make it work with old database from abc.com ?

Pardon me if some of my questions are silly. I really appreciate any help from you all.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Easy way to do this would be to take a backup of the site, restore it to the new site, then prune off the extra data you don't want.

1. Yes.
    2. Edit the config.php file
    3. You cannot.
    4. Nothing besides updateing the forum url in the AmdinCP.

Comment

• IBxAnders
      • Aug 2001
      • 4.0.x

So, this is actually a bit tricky. If the databases are on the same server you can copy the database ABC; to database XYZ. Then you will need to create "database table views" for user tables so that the user information is shared from 1 database by both vbulletin installations. In database XYZ limit the settings to F11-F20 only. I have this configuration on a network with 4 sites, they are sharing a bunch of things like usergroups - but different databases and vB installations. All have different admincp's - which is a pain in the ***.
      anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
      Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
      Please be my friend!
      http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
      vBulletin Performance Articles:
      Click here to read

Comment

• Desibabu19
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by IBxAnders
        So, this is actually a bit tricky. If the databases are on the same server you can copy the database ABC; to database XYZ. Then you will need to create "database table views" for user tables so that the user information is shared from 1 database by both vbulletin installations. In database XYZ limit the settings to F11-F20 only. I have this configuration on a network with 4 sites, they are sharing a bunch of things like usergroups - but different databases and vB installations. All have different admincp's - which is a pain in the ***.
        Zachery,

Thanks a lot.

1) If I copy all files from the old site to new site, I guess, I don't need to run "install" script.
        I still need to buy a second vbulletin license, right ?

2) If yes, how do I incorporate the second vb license in the new site ?

3) Now I have copy of database in the second site taken from the first site. What files need to be edited so that the second database does not point to old website any longer and use the new website name ?

1) config.php
        2) Admincp >> URL
        3) .htaccess file

anything else ?

Comment

• we_are_borg
          • Aug 2004
          • 4.2.X

1. No you don't need to run the install script if you use the same version. You still need a second license thats correct.
          2. If you use the same version just upload the new license to the server and make sure you set where you installed it correct.
          3. When making a copy of the database you can do a search and replace on the new site do olddomain.tld and replace with newdomain.tld then is the internal linking correct to, well 90% of that. But the files you named need to be checked just to be sure.

Comment

• Desibabu19
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by we_are_borg
            1. No you don't need to run the install script if you use the same version. You still need a second license thats correct.
            2. If you use the same version just upload the new license to the server and make sure you set where you installed it correct.
            3. When making a copy of the database you can do a search and replace on the new site do olddomain.tld and replace with newdomain.tld then is the internal linking correct to, well 90% of that. But the files you named need to be checked just to be sure.
            2. upload the new license - what is it ? Is it a file ? In which directory I can find this ?

3. I am bit lost here. I guess you are asking me to replace all URL links in existing posts to point to new domain. Am I correct ?
            Can you please explain how I do this in layman terms ? what command and where to run this command ?

Comment

• we_are_borg
              • Aug 2004
              • 4.2.X

2. When you buy your second license you point it to newdomain.tld you then download that license and upload it to your newdomain.tld. Its the same way you downloaded and uploaded your first license but now you do not have to install it again.

3. Download http://www.editplus.com free trail for 30 days, now you made a backup of your database that file can be read by any editor Editplus is lightweight and easy to understand. Load the database into editplus now press control+H you are now in search and replace mode the line "Find what" you type in olddomain.tld and "Replace with" you type newdomain.tld then press "Replace All" all text that is the same in "Find what" will be replaced with text in "Replace with" now import your database into the new database and make sure your new domain is reading the right database so check config.php, admincp and htaccess.

Comment

• ErnestA
                • Jan 2009
                • 4.1.x

I actually just did this myself a week ago. Found this thread after the fact (of course!). Didn't use editplus as there weren't many places I need to change. Everything seems to work fine... I backed up the MySQL database and all web directory files and restored to my new site. Changed config.php to point to new DB and went to vB members area and updated license to point to the new site.

However, I don't see anywhere in the members area where I can download a new "license file" to upload to my site.
                Help Desk / Asset Management Software
                K12Advantage.com. Collaboration in K-12 Education

Comment

• we_are_borg
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Well you can still edit the database trough myphpadmin it includes a search and replace but i have no idea how to works at the moment, you need a MySQL statement.

Comment

• Karel Souffriau
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 4.2.X

I'm not sure if this can help you, but we're using a 'globalforum' database with the following tables:

Code:
                    administrator
                    customavatar
                    customprofilepic
                    user
                    useractivation
                    userban
                    userchangelog
                    usercss
                    usercsscache
                    userfield
                    usergroup
                    usergroupleader
                    usergrouprequest
                    userlist
                    usernote
                    userpromotion
                    usertextfield
                    usertitle
                    Make sure all your data is in those tables. Then truncate the tables above in your site databases:

Code:
                    USE ABC;

TRUNCATE TABLE administrator;
                    TRUNCATE TABLE customavatar;

// etc

USE XYZ;

TRUNCATE TABLE administrator;
                    TRUNCATE TABLE customavatar;

// etc
                    And then merge the tables:

Code:
                    USE ABC;

ALTER TABLE administrator ENGINE=MERGE;
                    ALTER TABLE administrator UNION=(globalforum.administrator) INSERT_METHOD=LAST;

ALTER TABLE customavatar ENGINE=MERGE;
                    ALTER TABLE customavatar UNION=(globalforum.customavatar) INSERT_METHOD=LAST ;

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic ENGINE=MERGE;
                    ALTER TABLE customprofilepic UNION=(globalforum.customprofilepic) INSERT_METHOD=LAST;

// etc

USE XYZ;

ALTER TABLE administrator ENGINE=MERGE;
                    ALTER TABLE administrator UNION=(globalforum.administrator) INSERT_METHOD=LAST;

// etc

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...