Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masterneme
    • Jan 2010

Multilanguage site

Hi, I'm planing a site and I'm going to build it with vBulletin Suite.

I want to have one whole forum linked to a database, and it will include english and spanish forums, all visible at once.

I want 2 different CMS's, one presenting english content, and the other presenting spanish content.

So I want to know if all this can be made with the following structure:

The forum will be in www.mysite.com/forum

www.mysite.com will link to the spanish CMS

I want to redirect www.myenglishsite.com to the english CMS but I don't know if it's better suited in a subdomain like en.mysite.com or (the most probable) inside a folder like www.mysite.com/en/

I also read the "multiple domains and license agreement post" and I'm not totally sure if doing this I'd need 1 or 2 licenses, because all the data will be visible for everyone, but the CMS's are different.

And well, I'd also like to know if the structure that I presented is technically possible

Thank you very much!
  • we_are_borg
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

The forums is no problem at all you just make sections for English and Spanish. The CMS does not work like that its made for one language only and if you want to have 2 you need an extra license. The structure you say will come in 4.1 so forums in /forums and blog in /blog and CMS in /, and a few other options. The sites you say with mysite.com and myenglishsite.com will require two licenses. I have proposed CMS based on language so if the browser says that you have English it serve English if you have Spanish it serves that if its available in the CMS, read translated for this because it still needs to be written.

Comment

• thincom2000
      • Mar 2007

You don't need an extra license for the CMS. Simply create 2 "sections", English and Spanish, and give them the custom URLs /en and /es. Then just create your language content in the appropriate section. Not sure how this would work if you wanted sub-"sections", rather than just sorting the content into categories, but that's one way.

myenglishsite.com won't require a separate license if you are only using it to redirect to mysite.com/en/ -- also if mysite.com and myenglishsite.com have exactly the same forum content you are allowed to run both under the same license. That means it has the same database and all the same forums, users, posts, etc, all the time. It's when you start changing 1 or the other to be different (like a different language). This is sometimes a gray area, and it's something that's been done in the past, but for example I stopped running duplicate domains it because I felt it might be a drain on SEO. You can always just make your extra domains a full-on 301 redirect (like my first sentence in this paragraph).
      - the makers of VaultWiki

Comment

• masterneme
        • Jan 2010

Thanks for the info, I think I'll wait until 4.1 or 4.1.1 to be released and see what happens. Probably I buy a vBSEO license, I think that will give me more cool "subsection" customizations.

Comment

• bussinessbrktrgh
          • Oct 2010

I have a virtual sales person who uses such a split section. He uses redirect.

Comment

• masterneme
            • Jan 2010

What about just having www.mysite.com/es and www.mysite.com/en?

I'd need 2 licenses or only 1? Can I have different multilingual CMS's with this structure?

Comment

• meseta
              • Apr 2011
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by thincom2000
              You don't need an extra license for the CMS. Simply create 2 "sections", English and Spanish, and give them the custom URLs /en and /es. Then just create your language content in the appropriate section. Not sure how this would work if you wanted sub-"sections", rather than just sorting the content into categories, but that's one way.
              Will it switch to forum in Spanish if it switch to /es CMS? How to realize it?

Comment

• funmasti
                • Oct 2009
                • 3.8.x

Its Not complicated , as peoples suggesting use Spanish content, thats it No need to change language pack
                Last edited by funmasti; Thu 7 Jul '11, 4:31am.
                Mastiya

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...