Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkB187
    • Oct 2010

How does this work again?

So I got an owner license about two years. I ran the site for awhile then college got in the way. I am now creating a new site and want to use the same license again since my old site no longer is out there. Can I do that? I did get the owners license. Can I use the 4.0 version? When I log in it shows the following

Inactive - Expired
    vBulletin 3.x Forum (Owned)

Also, whats a good server to get to host this?

Thanks!

-Mark
  • wat3v3r
    • Jun 2008
    • 3.8.x

You can either pay them $50 (its $30 if your license expired in less than 12 months ago) and renew your license for 3 months or you can pay them $175 and buy vb4 with lifetime updates for vb4. (These prices are assuming you have an Owned license)

For hosting you may check threads here:
    Discuss PHP and MySQL hosting here. Find out which hosts people like, and which to stay well clear of.

Comment

• MarkB187
      • Oct 2010

So even if I want to use version 3 I still have to pay correct?

Comment

• wat3v3r
        • Jun 2008
        • 3.8.x

Yes $50 for a vb3.x.x version with updates for 3 months, but as you have an owned license you are not required to buy a vb license after these 3 months. If you are satisfied with your vb version you may continue to use as long as you wish to, without needing to purchase another license.

Comment

• we_are_borg
          • Aug 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by MarkB187
          So even if I want to use version 3 I still have to pay correct?
          No if its an owned license you can use it but if you license goes to version lets say version 3.5 and you want to run vBulletin 3.8.6 you need to renew or buy vBulletin 4 version. But owned licenses you can always use.

Comment

• monet
            • Oct 2010
            • 4.0.x

I'm new to creating a website and VERY interested in getting vBulletin 4 Suite (most likely will), but I'm confused about the upgrade, the RENEW issue, the idea of a "subscription", and license expiration. I've tried to find answers via the search engine already, but still confused.

I just want to buy the program and use it. The constant upgrading/renewing costs is making me reconsider though. So is it:
            You have to renew your purchased license every year? I thought once you buy it, you own it and every "patch" is free since you own it.

Some posts suggests that this applies to older vBulletin versions and not vBulletin 4, so if I buy the vBulletin 4 Suite I won't have to worry about renewing or having my license expire, right? Hopefully someone can clarify this up for me.

Thank you so much!

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Beginning with vB4 there is no longer any expiration date or annual renewal on licenses. Once you purchase a license you will have the right to download and use all new versions of vB4 for life.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• monet
                • Oct 2010
                • 4.0.x

Great! Thanks Steve.

Also, is it legit if I decide to buy a transferable license from DSK Shop at a discount? And what would I have to do to become the sole owner? Will I have full advantages just like buying a new copy like tech support and etc? Just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages for buying a vBulletin license (transferable). I can't afford a brand new license at the moment. Thanks for you help!

Best!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

We cannot guarantee third party transactions or protect you from potential fraud.

Please note that when you get a license from an unofficial source, you assume all risks, including the possibility that this license could be phony or charged back and revoked. You should read this article:

Read This Before Purchasing a Second-Hand License

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...