X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AnDy_LiN
    • Dec 2001

One or two questions

1) What IS access mask?
    2) Why can't the admin see the password from the Admin CP in V2.2.1?
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

1. access masks - not entirely sure if this is correct but they allow you to set permissions on a member by member basis rather than per usergroup basis

2. since 2.2.0 and higher passwords have been MD5 encrypted in the database so you can't view the passwords anymore
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• theguru
      • Dec 2001

eva2000

Do you mean that the administrator/owner of the site cannot view any of the passwords for the members?

If I own the board is there anyway to access that info?

I have found it to be very helpful when one of my less than savvy members needs help with their account.

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by theguru
        eva2000

Do you mean that the administrator/owner of the site cannot view any of the passwords for the members?

If I own the board is there anyway to access that info?

I have found it to be very helpful when one of my less than savvy members needs help with their account.
        no way to view them.. you can read the discussion here http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...=password+view
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• AnDy_LiN
          • Dec 2001

Oh I see. So for access masks, it's just like forum permissions except with individuals not groups.

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AnDy_LiN
            Oh I see. So for access masks, it's just like forum permissions except with individuals not groups.
            well yeah in order for indiviual permissions to work you need to enable access masks

Comment

• theguru
              • Dec 2001

eva2000

Thanks for the link. I read that whole thread with great interest but I cannot reply in that forum (I understand why I cannot reply in that forum but I do not think it is good for business if you are trying to get new customers) so I have to ask my question here.

I am a little confused, can I or can't I view users plain text passwords? I don't want to get into the moral or ethical arguments on this topic I just want to know about the product. This feature alone may be enough to keep me from buying vB vs upgrading my UBB license. I am really leaning towards vB but this feature is almost unacceptable to me. Also, if the developers are going to put this roadblock in now, what are they going to do next?

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

answer: no you won't be able to view plain text passwords since MD5 encryption is one way you can search and compare existing passwords

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • May 2000
                  • 1.1.x

What are we going to do next? Just keep on making the best forum package there is. I am not going to get into the merits of encrypted passwords as that other thread beat it to death already.

If you need to see the user's password than you will not ever be able to do it with vBulletin.

Comment

• theguru
                    • Dec 2001

I understand where you are coming from I have just found it to be a very useful feature when one of my members emails me asking for help with their account. Also, it is not uncommon for me to kick five people a day off of my site so the more I know the better. Thanks for answering my questions.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • May 2000
                      • 1.1.x

What we can do is give you the ability to compare the encrypted passwords as any given word will always encrypt to the same value.

Comment

• theguru
                        • Dec 2001

What happens when someone forgets their password? With UBB the software emails it to you again by request. I assume you enter your email address and the vB sends you a new password so the only difference is UBB sends you a copy of your old password and vB sends you a "new" password. Is this correct?

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by theguru
                          What happens when someone forgets their password? With UBB the software emails it to you again by request. I assume you enter your email address and the vB sends you a new password so the only difference is UBB sends you a copy of your old password and vB sends you a "new" password. Is this correct?
                          yes that's correct..

Comment

• theguru
                            • Dec 2001

Ok, I guess that will work. I am going to hang around (these forums) for a while and see what else I have questions about.

Comment

• AnDy_LiN
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by eva2000
                              well yeah in order for indiviual permissions to work you need to enable access masks
                              Well, what you can also do is just create a whole new user group and put that single person there....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...