Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fratal
    • Oct 2008

Examples of vBulletin social networks?

Can somebody link me to some social networks that are using vBulletin? I'd like to create my own social network; just not sure if vBulletin is the right software to use.
  • Jasper Aguila
    • Aug 2010
    • 4.1.x

Hi Fratal,

vBulletin itself is a social networking platform. There are many sites that are using the software to power their communities. If you'd like examples, please visit this link....

Comment

• vivamexico55
      • Mar 2005

This is an interesting question. Is Vbulletin now a Social Network software, instead of a forum?

Comment

• Fratal
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Jasper Aguila
        Hi Fratal,

vBulletin itself is a social networking platform. There are many sites that are using the software to power their communities. If you'd like examples, please visit this link....

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ts-and-greater
        A social network is like MySpace/FaceBook and is different from a forum. The links on that thread just lead to forums. =\ Thanks for your help though.

Comment

• LilPimpnRapper
          • Aug 2003

I've seen a cool paid extension which gives the forum a bar at the bottom of the screen where you can chat with your friends, play games with friends, etc. It was like a facebook chat. I dunno if that helps, but it was cool..

Comment

• Removed-836727
            Banned by User Request
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by LilPimpnRapper
            I've seen a cool paid extension which gives the forum a bar at the bottom of the screen where you can chat with your friends, play games with friends, etc. It was like a facebook chat. I dunno if that helps, but it was cool..
            CometChat

Comment

• Jasper Aguila
              • Aug 2010
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by vivamexico55
              This is an interesting question. Is Vbulletin now a Social Network software, instead of a forum?
              Hi vivamexico55,

The vBulletin forum software has always been a social networking software. The only difference is that it's more targeted towards a certain topic.

Originally posted by Fratal
              A social network is like MySpace/FaceBook and is different from a forum. The links on that thread just lead to forums. =\ Thanks for your help though.
              Hi Fratal,

The premises are still the same for both concepts. It's a virtual place where people meet online and "socialize." You can create a forum similar to Myspace and Facebook.

Comment

• himselfone
                Banned
                • Apr 2009

The vBulletin forum software has always been a social networking software.
                vBulletin is not and has never been a social networking software. It is a forum software, with 1 or 2 common (and minor) features shared with that of a social networking software. But I don't think you could ever go so far as to call it a standalone social networking product.

If i'm wrong and this is the case, then why is vBulletin taglined as "the most powerful forum software available"?

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I wouldn't call vbulletin a social networking platform. It has some basic social networking functions on profiles and it does have basic social groups. I dont think you can compare it to PHPFOX, ELGG, Social Engine, etc. vbulletin's social networking functions are just too basic for that. Both groups and social networking on profiles are still in version 1.0 and it shows.

Would be nice to see version 2.0 and up though.

However, you can add chat and other addons that will bring more social functions.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Jasper Aguila
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by himselfone
                    vBulletin is not and has never been a social networking software. It is a forum software, with 1 or 2 common (and minor) features shared with that of a social networking software. But I don't think you could ever go so far as to call it a standalone social networking product.

If i'm wrong and this is the case, then why is vBulletin taglined as "the most powerful forum software available"?
                    Hi himselfone,

I'm not saying that vBulletin is not a forum software. I'm just connecting the forum and social networking concept together as being basically the same.

With all the customizations available for vBulletin, it can become a standalone social networking platform.

Originally posted by Alfa1
                    I wouldn't call vbulletin a social networking platform. It has some basic social networking functions on profiles and it does have basic social groups. I dont think you can compare it to PHPFOX, ELGG, Social Engine, etc. vbulletin's social networking functions are just too basic for that. Both groups and social networking on profiles are still in version 1.0 and it shows.

Would be nice to see version 2.0 and up though.

However, you can add chat and other addons that will bring more social functions.
                    Hello again Alfa1,

I agree that out of the box, vBulletin 4 is a stand alone forum software. However, like you stated, numerous addons are available at vBulletin.org that can transform it into a fully functioning social networking website.

Comment

• Alfa1
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Hello again Alfa1,

I agree that out of the box, vBulletin 4 is a stand alone forum software. However, like you stated, numerous addons are available at vBulletin.org that can transform it into a fully functioning social networking website.
                      Interesting. I follow vb.org very closely, but am very surprised that it would be possible to create a fully functioning social networking system. Could you post an article explaining how to do this? I have seriously considered to buy ELGG, SE or PHPFOX, but did hold off due to their lacking integrations with vbulletin.
                      Such explanation would make a very helpful article.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Jasper Aguila
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Interesting. I follow vb.org very closely, but am very surprised that it would be possible to create a fully functioning social networking system. Could you post an article explaining how to do this? I have seriously considered to buy ELGG, SE or PHPFOX, but did hold off due to their lacking integrations with vbulletin.
                        Such explanation would make a very helpful article.
                        Hi Alfa1,

It depends on what you consider and want in a social networking site. What features are you exactly requesting? vBulletin is very customizable and can fit almost any type of business

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

OK. You got me doing another review. Here goes. I hope its helpful to VBS.

Looking at the feature list of social networking applications like Social Engine (+plugins), PHPFOX, ELGG, we see:

• Activity streams.
                          • Instant Messenger / IM bar
                          • Shoutbox
                          • Chat rooms
                          • Invitations (member X would like to be your friend/share photos on domain.com. Click here to accept)
                          • Advanced Events, RSVP, event categories, group events, images, discussions, etc
                          • Profile privacy settings
                          • Image gallery with tagging, rating, sharing, privacy
                          • Status updates
                          • Advanced memberlists, friends network browsing, interests, categories, interests search, listing top members, members of interests, etc.
                          • Advanced friends management, friends folders, friends birthdays, tracking/streams, privacy settings, etc
                          • Advanced Social groups. Like suggested here and here.
                          • Newsletters
                          • Reply by email.
                          • Profile widgets
                          • Connect profiles of members with the same interests
                          • Suggest friends
                          • Social sharing on twitter, etc.
                          • Favourites lists for Photos, Music Songs, Music Albums, User Profiles, Blogs, Videos, posts
                          • Music directory, ratings, sharing, events, playlists, mobile support,
                          • Video directory, sharing, events, privacy options.
                          • Drag & drop site customisation to user preference.
                          • Mini sites. (personal sites where members can use tools to create their own mini site. i.e. jasperaguila.vbulletin.com) This function seems a 2010 internet trend BTW.

While the last few features are not essential to a Social networking site, the others are.
                          Last edited by Alfa1; Wed 8 Sep '10, 2:23am.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• CindyL
                            • Sep 2010

When you create your own social network website, don`t forget to invite us ))
                            And later when you are Rich & Royal don`t forget where do you come from )))

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                              • Sep 2006

While the last few features are not essential to a Social networking site, the others are.
                              Definitely. Some of those seemed to be planned for vBulletin, but vBulletin is seriously lacking in the "social networking" area.
                              No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...