Trying to decide on a CMS for my company.... HELP!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erickroyer
    • Aug 2010

Trying to decide on a CMS for my company.... HELP!

I have been looking at Drupal and Joomla, but my old boss just told me about the new CMS that Vbulletin has. I have been reading the site and it actually really only comes down to one major need I have and I would love to go VBulletin if I can just do this....

We are a magazine and want to publish articles online. For those of you familiar with PC World, they use a find.pcworld.com/xxxxx in their magazines to refer readers to past articles or more info on their website.

We need to have the same functionality. We would need the URL's to be simple find.ourmagazine.com/XXXXX I like the simplicity of this. Since we are working with a print copy it is urgent that I can refer to a 5 number article for the url without the standard ?articleid=XXXXX.

Additionally I would want to have a search feature on the site where a user can just enter in the article number and go right to it.

Can VB do this???? If so, will it require any modifications?

Thank you
  • we_are_borg
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

This is not something vBulletin can do out of the box you need a custom script for that.

Comment

• erickroyer
      • Aug 2010

how complicated of a project do you think that would be? Cost wise? Just a rough idea would be great? Or a link to someone I can ask. I need to make a move on CMS Software this week

Thank you

Comment

• we_are_borg
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

I have no idea i'm not a programmer. You can ask better on vbulletin.org how much it will cost give as much detail as possible.

Comment

• renep
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by erickroyer
          We would need the URL's to be simple find.ourmagazine.com/XXXXX
          I'd simply configure an Apache rewrite rule, which rewrites any url with this pattern to whatever url structure the CMS uses. 1 minute of work and you can use whatever CMS you like.
          "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
          - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Loco.M
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.5.x

The URL part can be done with any website, vb or not.
            It's a simple redirect to whatever pages you set it up with.
            -- Web Developer for hire
            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• erickroyer
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Loco.M
              The URL part can be done with any website, vb or not.
              It's a simple redirect to whatever pages you set it up with.
              That might be true but I do not want to have to edit a redirect script every time I add an article. I need to make this Fisher Price so anyone who has access to add an article can make this url happen - thoughts?

Comment

• erickroyer
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by renep
                I'd simply configure an Apache rewrite rule, which rewrites any url with this pattern to whatever url structure the CMS uses. 1 minute of work and you can use whatever CMS you like.
                I have no idea how to do this, but I just sent my hosting company an email quoting your comment. This sounds like a simple solution, I just do not understand how it would work

Comment

• renep
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I have no idea how to do this
                  For example, this rule in an Apache config file will redirect a url like http://www.vbulletin.com/12345 to http://www.vbulletin.com/just/an/exa...rticleid=12345

Code:
                  RewriteRule ^/([0-9]{5})$ http://www.vbulletin.com/just/an/example.php?articleid=$1 [L,R=permanent]
                  ^ means: at the beginning of the string (nothing in front of this pattern)
                  / is just the slash in /12345
                  [0-9] means: any digit
                  {5} means: the preceding item (any digit) exactly 5 times
                  $ means: at the end of the string (nothing after the 5 digits)
                  what's matched in betwee () becomes $1

In this way it'll match only exactly 5 digits. All sorts of other patterns are possible, of course.

Tested with Apache 2.2 on Linux.
                  "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
                  - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• erickroyer
                    • Aug 2010

For example, this rule in an Apache config file will redirect a url like http://www.vbulletin.com/12345 to http://www.vbulletin.com/just/an/exa...rticleid=12345

Code:
                    RewriteRule ^/([0-9]{5})$ http://www.vbulletin.com/just/an/example.php?articleid=$1 [L,R=permanent]
                    ^ means: at the beginning of the string (nothing in front of this pattern)
                    / is just the slash in /12345
                    [0-9] means: any digit
                    {5} means: the preceding item (any digit) exactly 5 times
                    $ means: at the end of the string (nothing after the 5 digits)
                    what's matched in betwee () becomes $1

In this way it'll match only exactly 5 digits. All sorts of other patterns are possible, of course.

Tested with Apache 2.2 on Linux.
                    So if I had 1000 articles, I would need to create a "RewriteRule" code line for each?

Comment

• we_are_borg
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 4.2.X

So if I had 1000 articles, I would need to create a "RewriteRule" code line for each?
                      No this one line in htaccess is needed to redirect all there is to the right CMS entry.

Comment

• renep
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

No, this rule matches every pattern of exactly 5 digits, so this single rule will suffice for 100.000 articles (that ought to be enough for anybody )
                        - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• erickroyer
                          • Aug 2010

No, this rule matches every pattern of exactly 5 digits, so this single rule will suffice for 100.000 articles (that ought to be enough for anybody ;-) )
                          Thank you very much, that sounds like it will solve my problem. Now the next question is Joomla, Drupal, or VB for CMS features. See separate post.... Thank you

Comment

• renep
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

You're welcome. Good luck with your cms hunt!
                            - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...