Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Celestin
    • Jul 2010

When To Purchase (vB5 coming soon?)

I sort of stumbled into developing for vBulletin back when vB 4 wasn't out yet, and I haven't purchased a license since. I just use my clientss licenses to download the files, and do my development work with them, and this has worked out fine for me so far.

However, I'd like to be able to participate in the community more (both here and at vBulletin.org), contribute some plugins, and engage in discussion about vBulletin programming practices and such, so I'm all set to buy a vB4 CMS license.

To me, this is a big cost, because it's not strictly necessary, and I'm only willing to invest that kind of money if vB4 will have the same kind of longevity that vB3 had. Since we're not even at 4.1 yet, I thought I had no reason to worry, but apparently vB5 is set to be released soon?

I can't imagine why the dev team would be working on version 5 when version 4 is still quite a mess with all of the bugs. We haven't had a stable 4.x version yet. This concerns me on two fronts. 1, If vB5 is in development, I question the sanity and intentions of IB. 2, If vb5 is coming out soon (within a year or so), I can't justify purchasing vB4 now, unless there is some kind of heavy discount or automatic upgrade plan in place.

So, I'm looking for advice!

PS: Since I develop for vBulletin, no other forum software will do. So, please no dire warnings and suggestions to switch forum software.
  • Micronichos
    • Jun 2010

vB5 is underway, as Fabian said, anyway vB4 isn't stable yet.
    I could sell you my unused vB4 Suite license, but I'm not so cruel...

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

Unless your definition of 'soon' is 'within the next 2 or 3 years', then vB5 is not coming soon.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
        • Sep 2008

Please check for similar threads (vB5... why are they already working on vB5, etc, etc etc.) before posting, I'm here to help and answer questions but repeating myself is not an option .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Nick Celestin
          To me, this is a big cost, because it's not strictly necessary, and I'm only willing to invest that kind of money if vB4 will have the same kind of longevity that vB3 had. Since we're not even at 4.1 yet, I thought I had no reason to worry, but apparently vB5 is set to be released soon?
          In case you haven't noticed, vB3 didn't go away when vB4 came out.

In fact, multiple people have stated they will remain on 3.8 for the forseeable future.
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Nick Celestin
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman
            Please check for similar threads (vB5... why are they already working on vB5, etc, etc etc.) before posting, I'm here to help and answer questions but repeating myself is not an option .
            I did perform a cursory search for similar threads using the terms 'vBulletin 5' and 'vb5', which both contained too many 'common words'. I also used "vBulletin 5" in the quotes and didn't get much luck getting to the bottom of this. I admit I haven't scoured the forums, but I did do a search and check the first page or two in the presales forum.

Thanks for the info, Ace. 2 years is acceptable for me. Do you have this info from IB? Is there an announcement or blog post I'm missing?

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

There's been no announcement as to when to expect vB5, but there's no way it's going to be out before 2012.

If it is, I'll eat my door. I'll youtube it and everything. (Note to devs: This is not a challenge to make me eat a door.)

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nick Celestin
                I did perform a cursory search for similar threads using the terms 'vBulletin 5' and 'vb5', which both contained too many 'common words'. I also used "vBulletin 5" in the quotes and didn't get much luck getting to the bottom of this. I admit I haven't scoured the forums, but I did do a search and check the first page or two in the presales forum.

Thanks for the info, Ace. 2 years is acceptable for me. Do you have this info from IB? Is there an announcement or blog post I'm missing?
                Sadly for most of us, it's best to assume others do not read or search at all, just what it seems like most of the time regardless but good to hear and sorry for the assumption.

Originally posted by Ace
                There's been no announcement as to when to expect vB5, but there's no way it's going to be out before 2012.

If it is, I'll eat my door. I'll youtube it and everything. (Note to devs: This is not a challenge to make me eat a door.)
                If that does happen, I'm holding you to this dev or no dev...

*I will allow replacing of the door with one made out of wax beforehand...

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ace

I'll accept a cardboard door, as I wouldn't be surprised to see it before that date.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment