• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesbb
    • Aug 2010
    • 4.0.x

ipb & ipcontent or vb publishing suite

Hello..
    Currently I have a website using Joomla/Jfusion/Jomsocial/phpbb3.. This solution currently works ok for our community, I do not have an axe to grind against any of the software, but I have been looking at other options out there mainly software like ipb, ipcontent, vbulletin publishing suite etc, mainly because they integrate more tightly, features like promote to article from forum, better profiles, galleries, blogs etc.
    Vbulletin I have been a bit hesitant about, for two reasons, the publishing suite using 100 sql queries to load, but that said many people have also mentioned to me that there is far more mods available for vb as opposed to ipb. Quite frankly I have **NO** php/html/development skills, I can read code and sort of work out what it is trying to do. Some people have mentioned ipcontent would be harder to setup than the vb cms..
    Another consideration, I would also need a way to transfer all forum content over from phpbb3 to ipb, I understand I would need to manually transfer all profile info over manually, but we are still a small enough community that this would not be a problem to do over a few days.
    Just wondering what the feedback of the vb community might be.
  • unp
    • Oct 2008
    • 3.8.x

If you have '**NO** php/html/development skills' then IP Content is not for you.
    I need a drink...

Comment

• jamesbb
      • Aug 2010
      • 4.0.x

Ok, it has been a couple of days, I am really disappointed at the response to this thread from Vbulletin staff specifically, the one reply I have had to this is rather unhelpful, I was hoping for a fruitful discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of both products.

So is there any further opinion?

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

We have plenty of opinions, unfortunately not good ones. So we are trying our best to be polite and stay out of presale discussions like this while on vb.com. If you want to ask in a more neutral place like theadminzone.com, I'm sure you will find many people willing to comment on the issues they are having with vb4.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• dazraf
          • Jan 2009

I've been researching for about 3~4 months time and finally made my decision to go with vB, why? Because there is lots and lots of mods for, have a look at vbulletin.org, secondly because big sites such as Ebuyer uses vB and they are surely satisfied, and finally because vB is way easier to use/modify and to play around with!!!
          I'll buy my licence soon! Just have to wait for some money!
          But don't ever compare vB CMS with Joomla or Drupal!!! Joomla or even a better CMS such as Drupal they are far better!
          Hope this helped!

Comment

• Micronichos
            • Jun 2010

I regret buying vBulletin 4
            I could sell you my unused vB4 Suite license, but I'm not so cruel...

Comment

• we_are_borg
              • Aug 2004
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Micronichos
              I regret buying vBulletin 4
              If you then also say why then people can see if it will apply to them and how to avoid the same stuff you gone trough.

Comment

• jamesbb
                • Aug 2010
                • 4.0.x

Hi Guys
                Thanks for the replies... I would really like to keep this thread open and see it be constructive rather than having it closed. It would be really great if we could perhaps keep it more clinical, in telling me what it is about vb publishing suite you do or don't like..

Comment

• Micronichos
                  • Jun 2010

Hi, sure I can give the reasons, I'm having tons of problems and finally I desisted asking support.

If you want reasons not to buy vB just read http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...roubleshooting I don't want the possibility to get banned from updates until the salvation comes to the public
                  Last edited by Micronichos; Sun 22 Aug '10, 7:22am.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4.2.X

Hi, sure I can give the reasons, I'm having tons of problems and finally I desisted asking support.

If you want reasons not to buy vB just read http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...roubleshooting I don't want the possibility to get banned from updates until the salvation comes to the public
                    Well different wording but still you have not said why YOU could not use it, instead you point to problems other might have.

Comment

• Micronichos
                      • Jun 2010

Layout problems

CMS is not well integrated, lateral blocks sucks.
                      Pagination buttons are 1 pixel vertically dissaligned, it's very frustrating to change the color of the design.
                      Some parts are blue and I can't find the way to change them, upgrades overwrite icons innecesary.

I tried to get support by email and they say that I must remove all plugins, the problem is not the plugins because I had this problem since the fresh install. I don't want to test innecesary with a live board.

Google indexation problems

Google is not indexing well my site because blog entries don't have meta description. I also posted this and also got 0 replies. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...try-to-another

Meta description in threads contain all the message, that's not correct, it should have an extract of the content of thread. I send bugs to bugtracker and nobody seems to care about it.

Sometimes the web gives some database problem and I have to reload, users find difficult to upload images, and sometimes they ask me support for errors uploading them. The search sucks. Also there are about 500 unfixed bugs, the graph speaks for itself.

I feel embarrasing that they don't re-release for bugfixing and we all have to fix their errors. Why don't they have included yet the optimization tips from Shawn (DP)? I have been struggling with vB since I bought it. I don't find fair to have to waste my time fixing IB's errors in a premium product.

I find highly disrespectful to talk about vB5 when vB4 still is alpha.

Just I'm still waiting what I paid for.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Layout problems

CMS is not well integrated, lateral blocks sucks.
                        Pagination buttons are 1 pixel vertically dissaligned, it's very frustrating to change the color of the design.
                        Some parts are blue and I can't find the way to change them, upgrades overwrite icons innecesary.

I tried to get support by email and they say that I must remove all plugins, the problem is not the plugins because I had this problem since the fresh install. I don't want to test innecesary with a live board.
                        Well if support ask something and you are unwilling to do so or say it's not the problem they can't and will not help you further they need to make sure it's not a third party thing thats interfering. You can disable the plugins in the plugin manager deleting it will not be necessary if you use the config.php code for it.

Posting a picture without saying where its located really does not help, we can't guess where its located specially when you run a different language. So if your forum if your forum is located like this http://domain.tld/forum/ then include whats behind forum/ then we know what you where doing.

Google indexation problems

Google is not indexing well my site because blog entries don't have meta description. I also posted this and also got 0 replies. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...try-to-another

Meta description in threads contain all the message, that's not correct, it should have an extract of the content of thread. I send bugs to bugtracker and nobody seems to care about it.
                        The notice_1_html is something thats removed from 4.0.6 it seems, i cant find it any more and in 4.0.5 i still see it.

Sometimes the web gives some database problem and I have to reload, users find difficult to upload images, and sometimes they ask me support for errors uploading them. The search sucks. Also there are about 500 unfixed bugs, the graph speaks for itself.
                        For the database problems read the error message you got in your email or read the mysql log if your unsure what it is ask here and copy past the error. Make sure you remove IP and domain from the error. The asset manager is something that is going to be looked at if i read correct no eta is given for it. The search is something more and more people complain about but it will take time to solve that problem it will be done in 4.2 it seems. If you look at the Created vs Resolved Chart: vBulletin 4 you will see that they are fixing more bugs at the moment vs bugs reported for the last 4 days it seems so thats good. Not to say much you will not experiance all bugs that are out there because simply put you forum will not even display anything any more.

I feel embarrasing that they don't re-release for bugfixing and we all have to fix their errors. Why don't they have included yet the optimization tips from Shawn (DP)? I have been struggling with vB since I bought it. I don't find fair to have to waste my time fixing IB's errors in a premium product.

I find highly disrespectful to talk about vB5 when vB4 still is alpha.

Just I'm still waiting what I paid for.
                        I think that Shawn is now a bug scrubber and he changed a lot of stuff to scrubbed including his own stuff so it's being worked on. It's never fair but you say that you are on vBulletin 4.0.4PL1 thats rather old all ready more fixes where done in .5 and .6 so i would recommend test upgrading your forum and see if that fixes some problems.

Comment

• Micronichos
                          • Jun 2010

Now I'm on 4.0.6, all problems persist. vB4 just don't work for me.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Now I'm on 4.0.6, all problems persist. vB4 just don't work for me.

Anyway, thank you for your help.
                            Well if you give the urls where the problems are we can maybe help out but screen shots only in a different language is to hard to do.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                              • Jul 2008

If your current setup works for you best advice I can give is to keep it and inquire again when 4.1 comes out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...