Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greggish99
    • Dec 2001

Is www.FanHome.com a vBulletin board?

I'm trying to get an idea of how well vBulletin will scale so I was trying to find some big vBulletin boards in use and I came across www.FanHome.com (over 2.6 mil posts) . It doesn't say anywhere on the site what BB software they're running, but it looks like a modified vBulletin. Am I right?
  • Goldfinger
    • Jan 2001

Sure looks like fanhome is a VERY heavily modified version of vBulletin .

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Re: Is www.FanHome.com a vBulletin board?

Originally posted by greggish99
      I'm trying to get an idea of how well vBulletin will scale so I was trying to find some big vBulletin boards in use and I came across www.FanHome.com (over 2.6 mil posts) . It doesn't say anywhere on the site what BB software they're running, but it looks like a modified vBulletin. Am I right?
      fanhome is run by MattR and it's vBulletin which Matt ported and customed to use Sybase database backend instead of MySQL.
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Billy
        • May 2001

And, I will assume, he paid for a no-copyright license in all 6(?) installations.

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Billy
          And, I will assume, he paid for a no-copyright license in all 6(?) installations.
          the copyright free license is 1 time payment which applies to all licenses of vB a person owns..
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Actually to give you an idea of the scalability of vBulletin:

FanHome utilizes one installation of vBulletin accessing a common Sybase database for all the different variations of their site. Each subsite is really just a section of the whole installation. They use multiple webservers and database servers behind the scene which are load balanced and optimized for their traffic.

Please note that the Sybase version of vBulletin is not available to the public though we are working to make it available. Also you can run the same setup using multiple machines and MySQL if you desire. This very site uses one server to house Apache and PHP and another to house the MySQL server. We run the forums here, vBulletin.org, vb-world.com and several private development forums using this setup.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...