Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MicroChip
    • Dec 2001

Just a few "can vbulletin do this" questions

I am a UBB user, so my first question is how easy is it to migrate a UBB to vbulletin without losing any of the users and forums/message?

Most importantly, I've seen on some vbulletin boards that you can group the forums in to categories, and only show the categories, where you have to click on the category to get the list of forums in it, correct? Is it possible to have a category of forums, with several forums in it, that is not visible from the main page, so that you could really only get to the list of forums in that category by direct hyperlink? What I want to do is migrate my UBB in to vbulletin, for example, but have another group of forums that the users don't see, but that can be made available by clicking on a link they've gotten elsewhere...

There is a possibility that I would be charging people for access to certain forums, not even necessarily just a category of forums, although that is a possibility. Does vbulletin have any easy way of giving just paid users access to certain forums?

Thanks,
    Rick Dickens
    [email protected]
  • Martin CX
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.5.x

You could create a private category, but make the sub-forums non-private. I think this would work.

Comment

• JamesUS
      • Aug 2000

You can set any forums or categories to not display (and therefore only be accessible when the direct link is entered).

Importing from UBB 5.x and 6.0x is simple - just follow the step-by-step procedure in the import script.

Yes vB has an 'access masks' feature where you can define which users can access what forums. You could also make a user group for your paid members and when someone pays just move them into that particular group.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

Re: Re: Just a few "can vbulletin do this" questions

Originally posted by s.molinari
        Originally posted by MicroChip
        Is it possible to have a category of forums, with several forums in it, that is not visible from the main page, so that you could really only get to the list of forums in that category by direct hyperlink? What I want to do is migrate my UBB in to vbulletin, for example, but have another group of forums that the users don't see, but that can be made available by clicking on a link they've gotten elsewhere...
        That would take a bit of hacking but I don't think it would be too difficult.
        Actually it wouldn't take any hacking at all.

Comment

• MicroChip
          • Dec 2001

Sounds like it will do just about everything I need. And without hacking I can have a category of forums not visible to the main forums page, huh? sounds perfect.

Last question...

My UBB (v6.whatever) is pretty huge. I only get 20 mb of space on my ISP's mySQL server but on my server, my UBB folder is 212 MB and my Members folder is like 50 MB I think.

Is it apples to apples or is the information stored differently in MySQL so that it takes up less space?

Thanks,
          MC

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
            Banned
            • Oct 2001
            • 3.0.0 Gamma

I'm pretty sure you'll have to find a different web host, because everything is stored in the database. I only have around 300 members and my database is already 22 MB.

I reccomend http://www.aletiahosting.com

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Yeah, 20MB is not enough if you expect your forum to grow at all.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...