Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfnet
    • Jul 2010

Big Board Thinking about switching from IP.Board

Hi guys, i'm looking to transfer my community from IP.Board and IP.Content to the vBulletin suite.

I've been looking around, and had some questions

1. Does vBulletin support twitter logins? If not are there any plans to do so in the future? A large portion of my marketing is done via twitter, and I've been having great success with getting members from there.

2. vBCMS pages mostly look the same, is there a way to create custom pages that won't use the board skin, or custom layouts different from the forum using CSS?

3. Is there any roadmap or a post with planned features of whats coming in future versions of vBulletin? I dont want to make the switch and get stuck in software that doesn't have a clue of where it's going.

4. Are there any big boards (20k+ members, almost 1 million posts) using vB4, how has their experience been? I'd like to see more than one or two ideally, all the vBulletin and internet brands sites i've visted to do research seem to be using old versions except vBulletin.com.

5. I see support and licensing structures have changed a few different times here in the past 12 months, if I purchase a license today and tomorrow vB 4.1 is release do I get access to it. What if in 5 months vB 5 is released, do I get access to it?
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by cfnet
    What if in 5 months vB 5 is released, do I get access to it?
    With the current policy: No.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• kyrgyz
      • Oct 2007

2. vBCMS pages mostly look the same, is there a way to create custom pages that won't use the board skin, or custom layouts different from the forum using CSS?
      Check out this site powered by vB4 Suite. vBCMS pages look very different from the stock.

4. Are there any big boards (20k+ members, almost 1 million posts) using vB4, how has their experience been? I'd like to see more than one or two ideally, all the vBulletin and internet brands sites i've visted to do research seem to be using old versions except vBulletin.com.
      All powered by vB4:

http://forums.vwvortex.com - Threads 4,784,345 Posts 62,303,537 Members 542,878 Active Members 24,407

http://forums.digitalpoint.com - Threads:1,756,369 Posts:13,666,051 Members:370,558 Active Members:58,131

http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php - Threads 1,590,932 Posts 13,626,527 Members 938,265

http://www.dnforum.com/forum.php -
      Threads:386,903 Posts:1,666,438 Members:91,707
      Last edited by kyrgyz; Thu 15 Jul '10, 12:56pm.

Comment

• digitalpoint
        • Mar 2004
        • 4.1.x

Hi guys, i'm looking to transfer my community from IP.Board and IP.Content to the vBulletin suite.

I've been looking around, and had some questions

1. Does vBulletin support twitter logins? If not are there any plans to do so in the future? A large portion of my marketing is done via twitter, and I've been having great success with getting members from there.
        Not currently... vBulletin developers have said the Facebook login option was the first of a few additional ones coming down the road (they specifically listed Google and Twitter as other authentication methods down the road).

Yep... you can make it look however you want.

3. Is there any roadmap or a post with planned features of whats coming in future versions of vBulletin? I dont want to make the switch and get stuck in software that doesn't have a clue of where it's going.
        I don't believe there is an official roadmap (at least none I have seen).

It's not too bad, and it scales much better/runs more efficient if you check my vBulletin Optimization article.

5. I see support and licensing structures have changed a few different times here in the past 12 months, if I purchase a license today and tomorrow vB 4.1 is release do I get access to it. What if in 5 months vB 5 is released, do I get access to it?
        You would get access to everything until 5.x.
        Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
        Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• anthonyparsons
          • Mar 2005

5.x is not expected until end 2011 / 2012 some time. I don't think it's that much of a worry. One would expect VB will also offer a similar presale for the 5.x series, which if taken from the last presale, was approximately a 50% saving to upgrade.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

That's not really considered a 'big board' by VB standards... you'll be fine.

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
              One would expect VB will also offer a similar presale for the 5.x series, which if taken from the last presale, was approximately a 50% saving to upgrade.
              I have bought a heavily discounted pair of shoes last year for $15.
              After few days of use it flew to the garbage bin.

I have bought vB4 on the presale last year on a heavily discounted price...

Comment

• kyrgyz
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by beishe8
                I have bought a heavily discounted pair of shoes last year for $15.
                After few days of use it flew to the garbage bin.

I have bought vB4 on the presale last year on a heavily discounted price...
                What all these have to do with the OP's question? Maybe people need to stop whining in every single thread?

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kyrgyz
                  What all these have to do with the OP's question? Maybe people need to stop whining in every single thread?
                  And some people need to stop moderating without Moderator permission?
                  Instead report the post you not agreeing.

Comment

• kyrgyz
                    • Oct 2007

Just appealing to common sense here.

Instead report the post you not agreeing.
                    I never snitch on people.

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Have a +1 Rep FOR THAT.

Comment

• kyrgyz
                        • Oct 2007

Thanks. I wish I could buy a loaf of bread with it.
                        Ok. Peace!

Comment

• beishe8
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Ok. Peace!

Comment

• aussiefooty
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 6.0.X

You can switch your board over via the Impex system.
                            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                              • Mar 2005

Communities work best when everyone helps one another out.

Huge respect to anyone who prefers to tell another to their face than go behind their back. I like honesty, good or bad, always works best.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...