Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtnmike
    • Jun 2010

looking for some insider advise

I want to start a web based forum, and have spent a lot of time on other vb based forum sites.
    I find the layout easy to follow, but i am concerned that using vb to build and run my site
    is going to be too advanced for me.

Anyone here had similar concerns, what are your thoughts now?

Thanks....mm
  • Sfitzgerald
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.8.x

So I can give you my personal experience: I am in the IT field but nothing even closely related to all of this but I understand how its supposed to work - //The Web Guy and Admin at our site decided it was time to quit the role and responsibilities of running the forum and upgrading things and making the place nice. Well I decided that I could do it or at least take it under my wing and see how it goes.

Found a Web Hosting solution
    Bought VB
    Migrated everything over to VB
    Bought some skins - installed said skins fixed said skins
    Bought some mods and used some from VB.org
    Upgraded the Forum from vs 3 all the way up to VB4.0
    Fixed issues , edited code , re-edited code and once again fixed code...

Now - did i run into issues and screw things up - you betcha but good people on vb.org , good people here on VB.com always helped me out and pointed me in the right direction to get it fixed and if not i stayed with it and solved it myself. I did learn some things .. along the way back up the forum , and database , create a test site and HAVE FUN with it .. will I screw something up again most likely but I know where to go for help if I do.

So its been 3-almost 4 years since I took over the site and I love every minute of it and I like knowing I created something for others to enjoy and its my baby

Hope that helps yea ... but you can do anything if you have patience and have fun at it

Comment

• mtnmike
      • Jun 2010

Hey thanks for your input Sfitzgerald, i appreciate it!
      Really hoping to hear from someone who isn't in, or hasn't been trained in some form of the computer industry.
      Basically someone with only moderate computer skills

Comment

• we_are_borg
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

Well if you can read simple instructions you should do fine. Other matter will be the fine tuning of the forum or suite (Forum, Blog, CMS) that requiers reading and doing what is said but the instructions are really simple. The hardest part is doing the styles and addons, styles is making use of CSS, HTML and the stylevar that can be overwhelming but other forums also use CSS and HTML, the stylevars are something that you need to learn and understand take a look here http://stylevars.com/ you get the basic understanding of stylevars. I my self i'm moderate when i started with vBulletin but now you learn so much more in so little time just read and experiment on a test install don't be afraid.
        If your going to convert a older forum to vBulletin you need to test this out this takes time, if its a fresh install then you should be running in a day with good results after that its trying to manipulate the style.

Comment

• mtnmike
          • Jun 2010

thanks! thats exactly what i want to hear....mm
          Originally posted by we_are_borg
          Well if you can read simple instructions you should do fine. Other matter will be the fine tuning of the forum or suite (Forum, Blog, CMS) that requiers reading and doing what is said but the instructions are really simple. The hardest part is doing the styles and addons, styles is making use of CSS, HTML and the stylevar that can be overwhelming but other forums also use CSS and HTML, the stylevars are something that you need to learn and understand take a look here http://stylevars.com/ you get the basic understanding of stylevars. I my self i'm moderate when i started with vBulletin but now you learn so much more in so little time just read and experiment on a test install don't be afraid.
          If your going to convert a older forum to vBulletin you need to test this out this takes time, if its a fresh install then you should be running in a day with good results after that its trying to manipulate the style.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...