vBulletin 4 series: yearly renewal fees replaced with yearly payed modules releases?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.0.0 Gamma

vBulletin 4 series: yearly renewal fees replaced with yearly payed modules releases?

As Bob Brisco said on 18th february 2010 there are several payed modules/addons for vbulletin (download vb.mp3 - file was posted here) 'sitting in pipeline', one to be released this year.

So, what is difference between releasing feature like advanced gallery as part of main product, or separate product? is it one of the reasons roadmap was not posted?

May be this plans must be announced in proper way? any reason why not mention name of this products? it can be bad surprise for some users, because previously it was looking like all new features will be part of vb4 series product all clients already own
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif
  • we_are_borg
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

Well i think they will not burn there fingers on paid modules with the current state of the 4.0.x. They must know that users are unhappy with the development and getting bugs out in vBulletin 4.0.x if they announce paid modules and not fix the stuff first sale would be all time low on the modules.

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by we_are_borg
      Well i think they will not burn there fingers on paid modules with the current state of the 4.0.x.
      No more renewals so that is the only way to make some money for the further development of vB4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• we_are_borg
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by beishe8
        No more renewals so that is the only way to make some money for the further development of vB4.
        Yes and no the money they get from the modules should be great to have but development costs money to so they need to make a choice with that. On the other side you know how long development will take from 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.7 or so and say then where now working on 5.0 so you need to pay again you pay now 175 to upgrade from 3.x or 2.x to 4 instead of paying 40 dollars a year, so divided 175 by 40 thats 4.37. So with the upgrade you pay for 4.4 years ahead that money is now in the bank and you can do stuff with it. The best part is that this system of not paying annually is best for Internet Brands and not for the customers because as a customer we have no clue when the next version comes will it be in 12 months 18, 24 or 48 but remember, people that buy the upgrade now from 3.x to 4 will pay 4 years of renewal in advance. As you get closer at the end of the life cycle the more you pay in comparison, lets say for an example that vbulletin 5 is planed in 2014 January when i bought it in 2010 January i get 4 years worth of updates but i'm still 4 months away to break even. By the same example i buy in January 2011 i pay not 40 dollars a year but 58 dollars thats 18 more and it keeps getting worse. Now comes the fun part when you buy the vb a year before the next release i can imagination that people would be angry so they will say buy now free upgrade later why would they do that because you need to announce the upcoming release around 10 months before the release if they don't offer something people will wait until they can get the next release and sales will drop in that year.

I think they hired a beaner for this and played out some senarios the current system is only invavour for Internet Brands and with a good Road Map you cant predict how long till vb 5. The worst is that version numbers mean squat if they make 4.1 and later on 4.1.5 and then say next version will be 5.0 then they can do that they never said how many or how long vb 4 would last.

Also making paid modules and what i said in the examples pretty smart they will get good results.

Comment

• Mike Anime
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
          As Bob Brisco said on 18th february 2010 there are several payed modules/addons for vbulletin (download vb.mp3 - file was posted here) 'sitting in pipeline', one to be released this year.

So, what is difference between releasing feature like advanced gallery as part of main product, or separate product? is it one of the reasons roadmap was not posted?

May be this plans must be announced in proper way? any reason why not mention name of this products? it can be bad surprise for some users, because previously it was looking like all new features will be part of vb4 series product all clients already own

even though they said ALL add ons would be included for free for those of us who bought the suite and now they arent? so much for my post yesterday about IB improving

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
            • Sep 2001

The team commented on this and stated that anything that could be seen as being part of the suite, will be part of the suite (and gallery was specifically used as an example).

I assume that the products or modules will have to be something unreleated to the suite itself.

Beyond that, -- would you really buy anything from them with the ways things are going?
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• we_are_borg
              • Aug 2004
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
              The team commented on this and stated that anything that could be seen as being part of the suite, will be part of the suite (and gallery was specifically used as an example).

I assume that the products or modules will have to be something unreleated to the suite itself.

Beyond that, -- would you really buy anything from them with the ways things are going?
              No i would first look on vb.org if some one did not make something similar if that was the case i would probably take the vb.org solution. The thing is that IB can screw things up again they are not in the habit of delivering nearly bug free stuff.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                • Oct 2004
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by we_are_borg
                No i would first look on vb.org if some one did not make something similar if that was the case i would probably take the vb.org solution. The thing is that IB can screw things up again they are not in the habit of delivering nearly bug free stuff.
                yeas its not just the software that is broken.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...