X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mimocherry
    • Jun 2010

money back?

Hi

I have the phpBB2 Plus 1.53 based on phpBB 2.0.22 forum. I just use the basic features..I would like to switch to vbullin, but if I dont like the vbulletin in 30 days. can I get the money back?

thanks

Mimocherry
    Last edited by mimocherry; Tue 1 Jun '10, 10:12am.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

There is no specific return or refund policy, each refund is handled individually.

Comment

• mimocherry
      • Jun 2010

that is tough..if it doesnt work...we waste our money..

do you have a chart to compare vbullletine 4.0 and phpbb 3.0?

I want to convince myself that $200 per year vbulletin is worth than the free 3.0 phpbb.
      from the review I see, you both get 4 stars...

thanks!

Comment

• Mike Anime
        • Oct 2004
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by mimocherry
        that is tough..if it doesnt work...we waste our money..

do you have a chart to compare vbullletine 4.0 and phpbb 3.0?

I want to convince myself that $200 per year vbulletin is worth than the free 3.0 phpbb.
        from the review I see, you both get 4 stars...

thanks!

just to clarify one point in this post the cost is a ONE TIME CHARGE

however you would be wise to get the suite because even if you don't want the blog or cms (you can disable those) it is worth it to have the lifetime support.

Comment

• mimocherry
          • Jun 2010

Ah, so it is one-time fee, $195. I see.

do you have the comparison chart that I asked above...

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Ah, so it is one-time fee, $195. I see.

do you have the comparison chart that I asked above...
            Here you go. http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/vBulletin+phpBB

(Google is really effective at finding things if you type them into the box. http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourc...mparison+chart)
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Unfortunately that comparison chart is not really useful. It makes certain things look important (what database languages vBulletin will run on) and glosses over crucial stuff (I will elaborate below). Some day I need to sit down and make a comparison chart between phpBB and vBulletin.

A major problem with phpBB 3 is its anti-spam measures are not up to snuff. You will spend a lot of time dealing with incoming spam.

Also, the permissions system in phpBB 3 compared to vBulletin just about gave me a brain aneurysm. Setting up permissions for a user or usergroup to access a forum requires looking in 3-4 places, compared to just 1 or 2 places in vBulletin.

And finally, any substantial changes to the appearance of phpBB, as well as the inclusion of Plugins/Add-ons requires extensive editing PHP files. There is no easy Template system, and Plugins can reduce the security of your forum and make upgrades difficult or near impossible.

I've used vBulletin for 8 years now and to save money, I set up a phpBB 3 forum and while a lot of things work ok, and there are a couple of features I wish vBulletin had, the 3 issues above: Spam, Permissions, and PHP Hacking mean I will never recommend it to a serious forum operator.

Be aware that most of the plugins and add-ons you've been using for years in phpBB2 are built-in features of vBulletin.

Also one last note, I would suggest upgrading from phpBB2 to vBulletin 3.8.x.
              Last edited by feldon23; Wed 2 Jun '10, 3:32am.

Comment

• mimocherry
                • Jun 2010

you are exactly right. The comparison chart actually made vbulletin look bad. After reading the comparison chart, I really wonder why I bother with vbulletin when phpbb can offer me the SAME thing, without any charge!
                I wish that vbulletin sales are reading this post....no matter how good your software is, if you can not promote it, people will not know....

you made some good points

1. anti-spam is very important!
                2. I hate to spend time with extensive php file...it can be very confusing... like you said...the upgrade is nearly impossible. What's about installing plugin with vbulletin? do I need to edit the php file?
                you said that it is built-in right?

thank you, thank you!

Mimosa

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

2. I hate to spend time with extensive php file...it can be very confusing... like you said...the upgrade is nearly impossible. What's about installing plugin with vbulletin? do I need to edit the php file?
                  Usually you do not have to edit files.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• iadmirevb
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 3.8.x

I was reaading the comparison chart and notice that phpBB doesn't even have a WYSIWYG Editor ??? What?

Comment

• mimocherry
                      • Jun 2010

One more question...... on my phpbb plus, I have a field called "Description of your topic"...but I dont see the equilvent field in vbulletin...so when I import to vbulletin, what will happen? is there a workaround?

thanks!

you guys are being very helpful!

Comment

• mimocherry
                        • Jun 2010

also...for the facebook connector...can the forum discussion show up in the facebook???

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

One more question...... on my phpbb plus, I have a field called "Description of your topic"...but I dont see the equilvent field in vbulletin...so when I import to vbulletin, what will happen? is there a workaround?

thanks!

you guys are being very helpful!
                          Nothing, it'll just stay in the phpbb database.

As of right now, the FB connect is all that it is for single sign on.

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

I wish that vbulletin sales are reading this post....no matter how good your software is, if you can not promote it, people will not know....
                            I'm not sure why vBulletin doesn't have a phpBB <-> vBulletin comparison chart. Maybe they think it would be in questionable taste? However nobody else has an accurate one. I don't think it's bad to do an honest comparison of the two softwares.

phpBB does have some good features like it is a piece of cake to change ownership of a post or thread. And when you are working in posts/threads, you have a sort of history of threads you've recently worked on which makes it easier to merge threads. Merging threads and moving posts in phpBB 3 is almost as good as vBulletin now.

There are almost 900 hooks within the vBulletin code where a Plugin can attach itself and do cool stuff. As a result, most plugins are possible without editing PHP files at all. You might need to upload a PHP file, but it won't get overwritten on updates. Also, the appearance of vBulletin is driven by CSS and HTML templates which are edited in a control panel. It is rare that you should need to edit PHP files.

Originally posted by iadmirevb
                            I was reaading the comparison chart and notice that phpBB doesn't even have a WYSIWYG Editor ??? What?
                            It's true. It has bbCode, and you can add bbCodes and buttons, but believe it or not there is no WYSIWYG in phpBB.

Unfortunately, there is no built-in feature for topic description.

It's possible there is a plugin for this at vBulletin.org, and it might be possible to import this data and make it work with that plugin. But I admit this may require significant MySQL query knowledge.

Comment

• funmasti
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 3.8.x

also...for the facebook connector...can the forum discussion show up in the facebook???
                              No, not like u thinking
                              Mastiya

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...