Why should he get vBulletin...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netius
    • Apr 2010

I will tell you this is the world we live in your not going to please everyone - it is the environment we were grown up in. We are all different and have different opinions nothing is bug free in this world on release or far after release including final versions. If we were the same then you would not have business, competition, etc? If there were no bugs we would not learn and proceed?

It is how we handle it - now I have been around the block with many communities before as a developer for many clients. I have been off and on vBulletin and many others as for the support you get with vBulletin despite all the bugs, which they are working on to help please everyone, far out ranks anyone else I have came across. It's not just the vBulletin Staff that makes vBulletin but the community as well will help you with what you need.

If you think there is a system without a bug let me know and I will find it for you - even servers are different. If you want great support and community assistants then vBulletin is for you as v4 has some ways to go it will be there sooner then later.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

I love brand new users who are full of optimism.

Comment

• Alfa1
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by netius
        I will tell you this is the world we live in your not going to please everyone - it is the environment we were grown up in. We are all different and have different opinions nothing is bug free in this world on release or far after release including final versions. If we were the same then you would not have business, competition, etc? If there were no bugs we would not learn and proceed?

It is how we handle it - now I have been around the block with many communities before as a developer for many clients. I have been off and on vBulletin and many others as for the support you get with vBulletin despite all the bugs, which they are working on to help please everyone, far out ranks anyone else I have came across. It's not just the vBulletin Staff that makes vBulletin but the community as well will help you with what you need.

If you think there is a system without a bug let me know and I will find it for you - even servers are different. If you want great support and community assistants then vBulletin is for you as v4 has some ways to go it will be there sooner then later.
        I would have completely agreed with you some years ago. But meanwhile a massive storm has hit vbulletin. You seem to have missed it. Many angry vbulletin users are gone now. Much is shattered and we are hoping for trust repair and a few thousand bug fixes.
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• netius
          • Apr 2010

Yes I must missed allot running around working with them all in some form or fashion. As for the storm there will always be those is how it is handle and what is done makes for the best. I am not all about features cause they are all the same end result so measurement is in the company staff and community. We must pick up the peices and move forward.

And I am not totally new I do have multiple vb license based on my clients needs and have done so for about seven years now.

Comment

• Mike Anime
            • Oct 2004
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by netius
            Yes I must missed allot running around working with them all in some form or fashion. As for the storm there will always be those is how it is handle and what is done makes for the best. I am not all about features cause they are all the same end result so measurement is in the company staff and community. We must pick up the peices and move forward.

And I am not totally new I do have multiple vb license based on my clients needs and have done so for about seven years now.

FOR INFORIMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!

ok sorry about the caps

there is no Jelsoft now Internet Brands bought them out

many of the devs and even some of the support staff left

2k bugs still need fixing

the staff here have been a bit moody with customers latley mostly the vb.org staff but a few of the .com staff too

yes a lot of vb customers left for IPB or other solutions there are MANY reasons why.

if you enjoy vb thats great if you like the staff that is great too.

enjoy your stay.

Comment

• GT500
              • May 2010
              • 4.2.X

I have to dispute a couple of points here:

Originally posted by PsGalaxy91
              Because vBulletin 4 is bug-free
              Then why does it say GMT -4 hours at the bottom of the forums when it's set to GMT -5 hours in my profile and in my ACP? Doesn't look very bug-free to me...

Originally posted by PsGalaxy91
              plus it's the fastest forums on the web!
              Funny, when I had phpBB 3 installed on my Caucho Resin web server the forum pages would load almost instantly. Now that I have vBulletin 4 installed, the pages are taking about 5-10 times longer to load. That's not being faster, that's being slower.

vBulletin does have settings that allow it to run faster when there is a lot of forum usage, but it is at the price of functionality, and you won't notice it at all on a lower usage forum. As for whether or not it would be faster on my server than phpBB 3 at high load, it's hard to say, because Resin does a lot of caching to improve performance, so phpBB 3 might still perform better than vBulletin when running in Resin (and after the Resin 4.0.7 release the newer phpBB 3 is fully compatible with Resin while vBulleting isn't).

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by GT500
                Then why does it say GMT -4 hours at the bottom of the forums when it's set to GMT -5 hours in my profile and in my ACP? Doesn't look very bug-free to me...
                Do you have DST enabled?
                I am in cleveland, normally -5 gmt, during DST its -4 dst. The time on the forums is correct for me. Make sure you're in the right timezone and have your dst prefrences set correctly.

Funny, when I had phpBB 3 installed on my Caucho Resin web server the forum pages would load almost instantly. Now that I have vBulletin 4 installed, the pages are taking about 5-10 times longer to load. That's not being faster, that's being slower.

vBulletin does have settings that allow it to run faster when there is a lot of forum usage, but it is at the price of functionality, and you won't notice it at all on a lower usage forum. As for whether or not it would be faster on my server than phpBB 3 at high load, it's hard to say, because Resin does a lot of caching to improve performance, so phpBB 3 might still perform better than vBulletin when running in Resin (and after the Resin 4.0.7 release the newer phpBB 3 is fully compatible with Resin while vBulleting isn't).
                Are we talking about browser rendering time, or actual page generation time?
                vBulletin for me on a moderate server generates pages under a second, generally Page Generation is under 0.1 seconds. So how much faster is phpbb compared to vBulletin?

Comment

• Super Cat
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Although I'm not satisfied with VB4. I thought VB 3.8 was better that all other forum software.
                  I understand having many bugs with a re write. But please can we get another upgrade soon.

Side note. My time is correct. That isn't a bug.

Comment

• GT500
                    • May 2010
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                    Do you have DST enabled?
                    I am in cleveland, normally -5 gmt, during DST its -4 dst. The time on the forums is correct for me. Make sure you're in the right timezone and have your dst prefrences set correctly.
                    I have never seen an application change the GMT offset due to daylight savings time. It's the same time zone, just observing DST, so technically when it's set to -5 then saying -4 is inaccurate, as it implies a different time zone. It would be more accurate to say GMT -5 with DST.

The time is correct, it's just that the time zone is not being displayed correctly.

Are we talking about browser rendering time, or actual page generation time?
                    vBulletin for me on a moderate server generates pages under a second, generally Page Generation is under 0.1 seconds. So how much faster is phpbb compared to vBulletin?
                    Page generation time. My phpBB 3 forums would load within a fraction of a second of clicking the button to visit my forum (and there were a lot more posts on it than on my vBulletin forum). vBulletin takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to finish generating. I am using the same browser with the same settings (Opera 10.54 Build 3394 on Windows 7 x64).

If you want, I can install a test build of phpBB 3 on my server, and you can see the huge difference.

Comment

• GT500
                      • May 2010
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by GT500
                      If you want, I can install a test build of phpBB 3 on my server, and you can see the huge difference.
                      OK, I went ahead and did it. Note that both vBulletin 4.0.3 PL1 and phpBB 3.0.7 PL1 are both running on the same Resin 4.0.7 HTTP server with Quercus 4.0.7 handling the PHP, and they are both connecting to the same MySQL 14.12 server as the same user. I made the setup on each one as similar as possible (except for the themes, as a Quercus bug prevents me from adding themes to vBulletin 4).

Link to my vBulletin 4 forum.

Link to my phpBB 3 test forum.

With that AreoBlue style installed, phpBB 3 has actually slowed down a little bit. It's page generation time is still a little faster than vBulletin 4 though (the slower page loading speed is due to all of the pretty graphics in AreoBlue).

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

You're talking about page rendering times for browsers. Which has considerably more elements coming into play. Honestly both pages you linked me to download and render for me in under 2-3 seconds.

I am curious about the actual php and mysql time spent. There are a considerable number of things that can be done to speed up browser rendering time.

Comment

• GT500
                          • May 2010
                          • 4.2.X

You're talking about page rendering times for browsers.
                          My initial install of phpBB 3 had very little rendering time. Like I said previously, it would display in under a second, and that was without using caching tricks. I'm starting to think it was the update to Resin that slowed things down. Page generation time is slower in phpBB 3 than it was previously, and the settings are the same (for the forum and for my browser).

When I set my cache to only check images every 5 minutes, the loading times of phpBB 3 and vBulletin 4 are almost identical for me, with phpBB 3 being slightly faster. If I change it back to the default theme, it grows noticeably faster, but only by a little bit. Regardless, I don't think it's safe to say that vBulletin is the fastest forum software. It certainly has a better feature set than phpBB 3 (I like how it lets me restrict who can reply to topics in my Malware Removal forum, which puts it a step above IPB for security forums).

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Again, are we talking about page rendering time on the browser's end? There are so many things that can cause the speed of a page to render quickly or slowly. Bandwidth, server bandwidth, how many images, javascript files, etc are being served. What kind of CSS and javascript are needed to be rendered.

I'm talking about the actual time it takes for php and mysql to do their thing and spit out the html content.

Comment

• GT500
                              • May 2010
                              • 4.2.X

I'm talking about the actual time it takes for php and mysql to do their thing and spit out the html content.
                              As am I.

Also note that page loading time and page rendering time are different things, and while rendering is effected by loading time, it is not as big of a factor when on a reliable broadband connection and loading all images from the cache. Loading images from the cache takes most of the page loading time out of the equation, and you can see the generation time more clearly. It's not perfect, but since neither vBulletin nor phpBB has a thing to show the amount of time it takes to generate the page, then it's the best I have short of recording the server load monitor to see how long it is processing it.

Comment

• sportsfi
                                • Oct 2008
                                • 3.8.x

So it sounds like you want to stay with SMF no matter what - so no point what we write. Thanks for stopping by nice to see you good luck.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...