Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -Calypso-
    • May 2010

Hello

Hello everyone, -Calypso- from IPB world here. I am stongly considering moving to vBulletin and far away from IPB. For the last 2 years, IPS has been constantly pushing me on out. They allow rippers and modification cloners to run rampant within their staff. Anytime I voice any opposition to it, they are very swift to delete my posts and scold me. I am in search of a place to code away from the immature actions of IPS. To put it simple, if you are not in their clique or if one of the staff members do not like you, they do everything they can to make you hate owning their product. I require very little to be happy, here is my list.

1. Don't rip off customers and ask me to smile and accept it.
    2. Don't allow your staff to blatantly clone my stuff and then get mad when it is done to you.
    3. Leave me alone and let me code.
    4. Don't expect me to contribute to your modification database when you engage in unethical business practices.
    5. If you can't do anything to help me, don't expect me to do anything that will help you. Let's work together and not against each other.

Questions:

1. Guess I can do the thinking for myself here, is there a link to a pricing page perhaps and if I have pricing questions or others relating to licenses may I come back and ask?

Thanks,
    Soon to be ex-IPB coder
    -Calypso-
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

The main page shows the pricing for the product - http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php . Take a look at that and the FAQ and then feel free to ask any other questions here.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• DoE
      • Sep 2007

Welcome to vB, Calypso!

I love to code too. A friend of mine is switching to IPB, and as he is I searched for some mods people coded for IPB and found very few. I wanted examples to review to see the differences between vB and IPB so I can write some specialized mods for him. Most I found were template mods, but I was looking for mods that added functionality.

If you do not mind answering, can hacks be written that utilizes php hooks, or do you need to manually edit IPB files? For example I wrote a mod for vB that automatically copies moderated posts and sends the copy to an Admin viewable only forum to make it easier for moderators to review all new moderated posts, is this possible in IPB using hooks (with vB no core file edits were needed)?

Sorry for the question, and as well sorry that you are switching from one forum software to another. Seems like those who were with vB a long time are switching to IPB, and those who were with IPB are switching to vB, go figure.

FYI, writing mods for vB (without actual file edits) is very easy, you will love it.

Comment

• -Calypso-
        • May 2010

yes, the 3.0.x and above is using hooks system so you can change/run things without file edits

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

This is why I have not jumped ship to IPB. They seem to make every decision based on personal, rather than professional reasons. Grudges and personality conflicts are not supposed to enter the decision-making process about how you run your support forums.

Comment

• funmasti
            • Oct 2009
            • 3.8.x

i seen most of peoples leaving IPB and joining Vb
            Mastiya

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by funmasti

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• ENF
                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by funmasti
                Define most.

I highly doubt this statement holds water.
                To be updated...

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

So it's not true that IPB deletes first, asks questions later?

Is the negativity about IPB just FUD?

Inquiring minds want to know. And I realize this is not the forum for this, but then neither is the IPB forum.

Comment

• borbole
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by feldon23
                    So it's not true that IPB deletes first, asks questions later?

Is the negativity about IPB just FUD?

Inquiring minds want to know. And I realize this is not the forum for this, but then neither is the IPB forum.
                    Nope, the negativity about IPB is not just FUD. And yes, they delete your posts if they feel like it. Have you seen any thread there criticizing the Ipb like you see it here that users criticize vb and their threads don''t get deleted but they go on and on for how long they want.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by borbole
                      And yes, they delete your posts if they feel like it.
                      Just what I feel that happens to me here on vb.com
                      Hello there -Calypso-, hope you are enjoying the use of vBulletin 3 (hopes)
                      That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

Originally posted by License Agreement
                        • While we are quite happy to have constructive comparative conversations about competitor's products, we will not tolerate blatant adverts or the sort of 'ooh look, yet another bulletin board' threads. Also, we would appreciate it if you refrain from blatant bashing of other boards.
                        • We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
                        • If you are going to post non-English on these forums, please also post an English Translation of your post.
                        • Posts arguing about company policies are not allowed. You can fill out a support ticket if you have issue with company policies.
                        • Posts discussing moderator actions are also not allowed.
                        Just as a reminder...
                        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Riasat
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by License Agreement
                          Posts arguing about company policies are not allowed. You can fill out a support ticket if you have issue with company policies.
                          /me rolls eyes at License Agreement!

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Homeworld'sa
                            Just what I feel that happens to me here on vb.com
                            Hello there -Calypso-, hope you are enjoying the use of vBulletin 3 (hopes)
                            They unbanned you?

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Yes, my ban expired yesterday feldon. If you want to talk to me about it, PM me.
                              That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...