Want to upgrade but kind of afraid, a few questions please.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Gregory
    • Apr 2005
    • 3.6.x

Want to upgrade but kind of afraid, a few questions please.

One of our forums has a cpl million post and 60,000 members. My host is upgrading my sql and php as we speak to handle the upgrade from 3.7 to the new 4.0.

My concerns are, my forum now is in /forums and I use Vbadvanced in the root. Will an upgrade to your cms just overwrite the VBA cms? Will it be difficult to replace with yours? If so can I pay you to install it?

Another concern is we get quite a bit of traffic to our front page from the search engines now. maybe a thousand or more hits a day. Is your CMS SE friendly as far as title tags and such?

Our members really like having the recent threads on the front page along with poll results and such. Can I do this with your CMS?

Our forum is five years old now and I installed a few things on it I probably shouldnt have like FlashChat and such. I dont care about losing the chat and such for the upgrade I will replace them later but my question is will these things hamper the upgrade?

Also I looked but couldnt find what kind of payment processers can we use on the new forum and is there a banner rotation script built into the forum?

Thanks for your help I look forward to upgrading.
  • GameFreak2009
    • Sep 2009

My concerns are, my forum now is in /forums and I use Vbadvanced in the root. Will an upgrade to your cms just overwrite the VBA cms? Will it be difficult to replace with yours? If so can I pay you to install it?
    I'm not sure if it will overwrite it, but there's no reason of using both
    No, it won't be... Just a simple installation... And maybe an Import.
    Yes, you can ask for an Installation. (You'll have to pay)

Another concern is we get quite a bit of traffic to our front page from the search engines now. maybe a thousand or more hits a day. Is your CMS SE friendly as far as title tags and such?
    Well, as you can see: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...e-Instructions, but, of course you can use vBSEO, which also costs money

Our members really like having the recent threads on the front page along with poll results and such. Can I do this with your CMS?
    This can be done with a Widget on the CMS page. 'Recent Threads', 'New Users', 'Users Online'. I'm not sure if there's a recent polls, but you can always ask at http://www.vbulletin.org - the official vB Modification Site.

Our forum is five years old now and I installed a few things on it I probably shouldnt have like FlashChat and such. I dont care about losing the chat and such for the upgrade I will replace them later but my question is will these things hamper the upgrade?
    They'll be disabled. You can update 'em later.

Also I looked but couldnt find what kind of payment processers can we use on the new forum and is there a banner rotation script built into the forum?
    I'm not familiar with the payment processers, so I can't tell.
    I can tell you doh that there is a banner rotation script at http://www.vbulletin.com (Search in vB4 Modifications)

Comment

• Al Gregory
      • Apr 2005
      • 3.6.x

Thanks

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Any customizations, including your forum style, will need to be reverted to upgrade. I would search and get as much information as possible before proceeding. I would also do a test forum first.

Comment

• Al Gregory
          • Apr 2005
          • 3.6.x

I just purchased the upgrade to the new forums i will keep VBA for now. Is there anywhere that has instructions on upgrading the forums with VBA and Photopost which I wouldnt mind just getting rid of since everyone seems to like the Albums better.
          Also my forum is running 3.7 here it says I can go to 4 from 3.7 but on the instructions it says I should go to 3.84 first.
          My host updated my SQL and PHP and since then my forum has been bogging down and giving errors. Im hoping the upgrade to the 4 will help this.

Comment

• Pope Viper
            • Mar 2006

I would HIGHLY recommend getting any current issues identified and resolved before moving a production site to VB 4.0. You want to be as stable, and worry free prior to making the move.

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Upgrading an unstable vB3.7 forum to vB4 will not magically make your problems go away. It will probably double them.

And you should look at what it will take to integrate VBA and PhotoPost and any other plugins with vB4. vB4 does not work with existing plugins, styles, templates, etc. You will need all new stuff.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                • Oct 2004
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                Upgrading an unstable vB3.7 forum to vB4 will not magically make your problems go away. It will probably double them.

And you should look at what it will take to integrate VBA and PhotoPost and any other plugins with vB4. vB4 does not work with existing plugins, styles, templates, etc. You will need all new stuff.

thats why IPB's hook system is better.

Comment

• Al Gregory
                  • Apr 2005
                  • 3.6.x

I have always had issues with SQL tables needing attention from my host. Finally they upgraded me to the latest PHP and SQL. Ive had a few tables balk at the idea like the usercss (found fix here after host failed to fix, Had to truncate) also some very long threads with hundreds of replies stopped accepting new post and had to be closed and new ones started. Im fine with deleting Photopost and VBA for the upgrade and then reinstalling after if that is what it takes. Can I just delete them in my Admin section where I manage addons? I dont make a fortune with my forum but Ive had it for 5 years it has two million post and 60,000 members. I would hate to lose it.
                  I tried new styles but got so many token errors after upgrading to 3.7 I had to go back to using just the default style anyway. I just want something that works and I dont get calls from my mods saying the site is down again.

Comment

• Al Gregory
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Ok I hate to be a pain in the neck but I have a cpl more questions. I finally got my server running good. So good infact I hate to mess with it but I already bought the 4.0
                    My question is I wanted to get the cms too now. Is the CMS hard to customize as a portal. Is their any coding knowledge needed or is it just like other portals where you tell it to show what and where?

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Its considerable, if you want to see what its like you can try a demo here: http://www.vbulletin.com/go/demo

The cost to upgrade if you already don't have a suite license is 100 USD.

Comment

• Al Gregory
                        • Apr 2005
                        • 3.6.x

Ok Im sold I really liked the demo it didnt seem that difficult. I will purchase the upgrade.
                        I want you to install it though. What do you need from me first though is there a list of stuff somewhere. I imagine you need a ftp login and such but what about access to the database to back it up and stuff. How do i get you that?

Comment

• kmohamed
                          • Nov 2007

upgrading an unstable vb3.7 forum to vb4 will not magically make your problems go away. It will probably double them.
                          don't do it until the gold
                          love is like a war; easy to begin, hard to end, and impossible to forget

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Al Gregory
                            Ok Im sold I really liked the demo it didnt seem that difficult. I will purchase the upgrade.
                            I want you to install it though. What do you need from me first though is there a list of stuff somewhere. I imagine you need a ftp login and such but what about access to the database to back it up and stuff. How do i get you that?
                            The cost for us to do an upgrade/install is 150 USD ontop of any other licensing fees.

Originally posted by kmohamed
                            don't do it until the gold
                            The software has gone gold, it has been released to the public and ready for production.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...