My licenses are expiring what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Anime
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by squall14716
    You're complaining about the license agreement changing and yet you moved to IPB? Remember, Invision Power Board will always be free.
    that is the reason i left ipb togo to vB.

however that was a single lie intentional or not.

vb told us 4 was going to be a rewrite of the code then adrian said that wont happen till vb 5

we are in 4.0.3 and still no gold vb$ yet

vb still has over 2k bugs

stylevars were SUPPOSED to be finished by now and yet they won't be till 3.1.0

the cms is still unfinished this too wont be done till 3.1

there are too many issues to finish listing however the last one is how dismissive the support staff here and on .org are treating customers latley.

IMHO ipb has come a long way since their early days and IB took on something it shouldn't have without the old devs who KNEW the core code inside out.

<EDIT>

though i like ipb more than vb i will not steer people to it that would be unfair to everyone here.

i would suggest them to try the demo for all the forum options out then make their choise.

</edit>
    Last edited by Mike Anime; Thu 20 May '10, 9:38am.

Comment

• M.Scheel
      • Sep 2001

Why not simply make all Versions of vB 3.8 available to users with owned vB Licenses that bought their license and did not upgrade to vB4?
      This way they don't need to upgrade to vB4 unless they really want to.

That would be fair to everyone and would save IB a lot of angry customers.

I upgraded all my licenses to vB4 suite so I wouldn't mind either way but I think it would be a good move to keep customers happy

Just my 2 cents

StarBuG
      Michael Scheel
      Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin

Web: www.Kinderarzt-Cuxland.de
      Facebook: Kinderarzt.Cuxland
      Instagram: Kinderarzt.Cuxland

Comment

• IB Adrian
        Former Senior Operations Manager
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.6.x

I don't wish to sound like I am arguing with you (I am not ), but I just wanted to add a couple of things to what you have mentioned:
        Originally posted by Mike Anime
        vb told us 4 was going to be a rewrite of the code then adrian said that wont happen till vb 5
        Someone asked me, I think I said something along the lines of "this is when I think the re-factor will occur". I came back and corrected myself after having a discussion with other individuals here - we will be refactoring software in vB4. The first part is the editor.
        stylevars were SUPPOSED to be finished by now and yet they won't be till 3.1.0
        We held off updating them based on the requests from customers
        Adrian

Comment

• Mike Anime
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by IB Adrian
          I don't wish to sound like I am arguing with you (I am not ), but I just wanted to add a couple of things to what you have mentioned:Someone asked me, I think I said something along the lines of "this is when I think the re-factor will occur". I came back and corrected myself after having a discussion with other individuals here - we will be refactoring software in vB4. The first part is the editor.

well i stand corrected on one point

and for the other better late than never for listining to customers

i am humble enough to reckonise i was wrong thanks for clearing that up

Comment

• surfdude
            • Jun 2001

I wonder what the cost of upgrade from v.4 to v.5 will be. $10-15 discount off full version?
            New Member?!? My 'Join Date' thinks otherwise!
            I surf, therefore I am. I think.

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by surfdude
              I wonder what the cost of upgrade from v.4 to v.5 will be.
              Unknown. A lot could change until then.
              Just as much as between v3 and v4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• mariohn
                • Mar 2004

I wish you would listen to the request of your current customers that have an expired vB3 and not wanting to upgrade to vB4, we want a fair price for updating our licenses.
                WebDevPlace - Your connection with web developers
                Ayuda de vBulletin en Español

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Option a) Stick to what you have, use it, nothing wrong with the 3.x branch of vBulletin. It's visible source you can still edit the files if the features aren't big enough for the customization you need.
                  Option b) Wait for a better product to hit the market, if you don't want to go with version 4 of vB, or IPB.
                  Option c) Go with SMF or another free version to save costs.

My family and I have decided to stop our sites, or the forums on it, and I have decided my 15 sites will remain on 3.8 until a better software hits the market.

Comment

• mariohn
                    • Mar 2004

Im stuck with version 3.8.4 and would like to be able to at least get the latest vB 3.X releases without having to be forced to buy vB4.
                    WebDevPlace - Your connection with web developers
                    Ayuda de vBulletin en Español

Comment

• feldon23
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
                      Option b) Wait for a better product to hit the market

My family and I have decided to stop our sites, or the forums on it, and I have decided my 15 sites will remain on 3.8 until a better software hits the market.
                      Unfortunately, consumer confidence, brand recognition, and high quality of vBulletin kept competitors off the market for years. It will take a long time for a competitor to step in and pick up the slack.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by feldon23
                        Unfortunately, consumer confidence, brand recognition, and high quality of vBulletin kept competitors off the market for years. It will take a long time for a competitor to step in and pick up the slack.
                        I agree, and until I feel confident there's a reason for me to upgrade to anything better, I stick to what I have, what I know, and what doesn't cost me money: vBulletin 3.8.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
                          I agree, and until I feel confident there's a reason for me to upgrade to anything better, I stick to what I have, what I know, and what doesn't cost me money: vBulletin 3.8.
                          More importantly, you're sticking with what doesn't break your site!
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Ace
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by mariohn
                            I wish you would listen to the request of your current customers that have an expired vB3 and not wanting to upgrade to vB4, we want a fair price for updating our licenses.
                            Because changing Stylevars is the same as making a massive financial change that would impact thousands, among them hundreds who did upgrade, and would feel that they had been 'unfairly' treated because now everyone else gets what they paid for, for free? Right?
                            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Blubble
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 3.8.x

I feel like I have been made a fool of. All the time and effort I have put into my site and now I'm faced with paying for something I don't want and by all accounts doesn't perform all that well either. I don't know if I want to continue as a customer here. Why shouldn't I go elsewhere?

Comment

• Zachery
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lolocaust
                                I feel like I have been made a fool of. All the time and effort I have put into my site and now I'm faced with paying for something I don't want and by all accounts doesn't perform all that well either. I don't know if I want to continue as a customer here. Why shouldn't I go elsewhere?
                                What exactly isn't preforming all that well?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...