My licenses are expiring what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by zappaDPJ
    I don't agree that vB4.0 is a ridiculous price at all. In my view the price is about right and on a par with competitor products.
    The problem was being asked to upgrade for $185, paid up front, per license, sight unseen.

Comment

• zappaDPJ
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by feldon23
      The problem was being asked to upgrade for $185, paid up front, per license, sight unseen.
      I completely agree, it was the implementation that was wrong, not that actual pricing structure although I think there were discount incentives given around that time. I was one of those who didn't take advantage of them because I had no confidence in the product at that time and there was some resentment on my part that I'd wouldn't be getting the full value of the renewals that'd I'd paid for. I think the whole thing was a huge mistake which damaged reputations but I also think vB/IB recognise this and are at least trying to put things back on track. I'd like to think so anyway

Comment

• mariohn
        • Mar 2004

Some one needs to start a petition at http://gopetition.com i bet we will have hundreds if not thousands of people signing the petition maybe that way IB will pay attention to their customers.
        WebDevPlace - Your connection with web developers
        Ayuda de vBulletin en Español

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by mariohn
          Some one needs to start a petition at http://gopetition.com i bet we will have hundreds if not thousands of people signing the petition maybe that way IB will pay attention to their customers.
          Or they could pay attention to the fact that many of their old customers are indeed still upgrading to vB4, and that they are getting new ones on a daily basis.

They can see this directly. They don't need a 3rd-party site that has no actual control over how many times people 'sign' a petition.

The complaints on these forums are from a vocal minority.
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• mariohn
            • Mar 2004

I think is alot more people than you think Ace, we need a centralized location to log everyone's complaint that way they can really see how many upset customers they have.

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

I think is alot more people than you think Ace, we need a centralized location to log everyone's complaint that way they can really see how many upset customers they have.
              No, *we* don't.

In fact, people don't *need* to complain about the price. They can either pay it or not.

Voting with one's wallet is 100% the best way to tell a company you don't want to pay their price.

If there really were as many unhappy people as are claimed, this would have impacted IB already.
              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                • May 2004
                • 3.8.x

Some of us have already 'petitioned' by moving our sites to another platform.. Money is the way to get them to see their errors or success...

Originally posted by Ace
                If there really were as many unhappy people as are claimed, this would have impacted IB already.
                I agree with you up until this point... I don't think they have fully realized how much they will or won't lose in terms of business and money.

Some, like myself bought into vB 4.0 because of the track record vB had before... Some of us, like myself won't buy into vB 5.0 as we have moved our business and sites elsewhere..

The true test for IB will come when they release vB 5.0 and not before.

Comment

• mariohn
                  • Mar 2004

I have already purchased a IPB license and plan to buy many more if vBulletin pricing structure is not reconsidered for current vb 3.x "owners"

Comment

• pelican
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by JamieinNH
                    I agree with you up until this point... I don't think they have fully realized how much they will or won't lose in terms of business and money.

Some, like myself bought into vB 4.0 because of the track record vB had before... Some of us, like myself won't buy into vB 5.0 as we have moved our business and sites elsewhere..

The true test for IB will come when they release vB 5.0 and not before.

They might still getting sales with new customers. Whats the point if they cant retain their existing customers. Perhaps they only interested to maintain revenue and not grow it.

Hopefully they know how much revenue they might have missed. And disappointment of their practice from existing customers.

As day pass, there are new customers buying vb4 as well as 'new' disappointed existing customer realized about this licensing change and vote with their money.

Even being convinced into getting vb4 reluctantly, will we be getting vb5 if they dont address to existing customers concern.

I like vbulletin software but i dont know when will IB 'betray' existing customers again.

I am okay with the new pricing/licensing structure of vb4. Just unhappy how they handle the previous version licensing transition and with no reasonable option to 'renew' to latest 3.8

Comment

• feldon23
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.7.x

maybe IB will pay attention to their customers.
                      The problem is, vBulletin used to be an annual renewal. As a result, vBulletin had month-to-month feedback on how customers viewed the updates. Essential? Frivolous? They knew instantly.

Now, IB won't know the customer base's true feeling about vBulletin until 5.0 comes out and nobody buys.

I just want to know: Have any of you received or filled out any surveys about vBulletin?

That's how you know how a company views its customers. Are they reactionary, or are they out there trying to take the pulse of the customers?

Comment

• furzefield
                        • Mar 2010

Can I just add my comments to this complaint, I also am not happy with the situation. I do not want to upgrade to a product that has bugs in it and the pricing is too expensive anyway. I have 4 licenses, 3 leased but I am going to have to migrate the leased ones to a product that offers better value for money unless the management see that they are loosing loyal customers and do something. I will keep the owned license going on 3.8 until the release a stable product at a price that is reasonable, although I do not really need to upgrade to anything at the moment.

Comment

• Woeisme
                          • May 2010

This may or may not be the appropriate place for this question, but after reading this thread it may very well be.
                          I am considering vB as well as others for forum software.

My question as it relates to this thread is, if I purchase vB4, I get free bug fixes, security updates and the rest for the life of the product.. correct? no annual renewals... "for the life of the 4.0 software products"

While as a potential customer that sounded great, when reading the FAQ I said to myself... how long is that life? Then I read this thread.

If vB comes out with v5.0 six months from now, it seems I'll be in the same boat as all of you, discontinued updates for 4.x and required to upgrade to 5.x (ok, not required, but what's the point if you cant get updates)

Maybe I'm missing something. Thoughts?

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Woeisme
                            This may or may not be the appropriate place for this question, but after reading this thread it may very well be.

My question as it relates to this thread is, if I purchase vB4, I get free bug fixes, security updates and the rest for the life of the product.. correct? no annual renewals... "for the life of the 4.0 software products"

While as a potential customer that sounded great, when reading the FAQ I said to myself... how long is that life? Then I read this thread.

If vB comes out with v5.0 six months from now, it seems I'll be in the same boat as all of you, discontinued updates for 4.x and required to upgrade to 5.x (ok, not required, but what's the point if you cant get updates)

vB5 won't be six months from now.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Woeisme

vb 5 might be a long time comming however the current issues and 2k bugs got me moved over to IPB i payed for a "gold" product and it is still tin IMHO. gone are the jelsoft days where a nearly bug free product was king and customers truley mattered. and i have a sinking feeling they will be changing the licence agreement and pricing structure again. they did it once during the vb3 line and again when 4.0 came out.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                                • May 2002
                                • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                                vb 5 might be a long time comming however the current issues and 2k bugs got me moved over to IPB i payed for a "gold" product and it is still tin IMHO. gone are the jelsoft days where a nearly bug free product was king and customers truley mattered. and i have a sinking feeling they will be changing the licence agreement and pricing structure again. they did it once during the vb3 line and again when 4.0 came out.
                                You're complaining about the license agreement changing and yet you moved to IPB? Remember, Invision Power Board will always be free.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...