• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sff
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Is it time to upgrade?

Guys,

Im running 3.7.3 and really like the idea of adding CMS and Blogs to my forum so vB4 looks the ideal solution.

I was advised against upgrading by my hosting company about 4 months ago, they said vB4 was unrelieable and has issues that needed sorting. Is this still the case (indeed was it ever) or would it be wise to make the change now from what is a solid and reliable platform I currently have. I want the extra features of vB4 but not at the expense of trouble.

Should I switch and can anyone give me some links to sites that are really using vB4 to showcase all of the strengths of this product?

Many thanks in anticipation.
  • newsman
    • Nov 2008
    • 3.8.x

hmmm...well...honestly...you're gonna hear a million different opinions on whether or not to upgrade. I'm running one forum on 3.7.4 and one on 3.8.5, both with CMS's installed. I did start the newer one off with 4.0.x and it had some positive features. I do like the layout, the styles, ect. But, i'm so familiar with the 3.x series codes that it was hard for me to customize any of 4.x.

Do a little searching on www.adminaddict.net, and theadminzone.com...theres threads over there that have people showing off their 4.x series boards...maybe that will help you in making your choice.

Comment

• Riasat
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by sff
      Guys,

Im running 3.7.3 and really like the idea of adding CMS and Blogs to my forum so vB4 looks the ideal solution.

I was advised against upgrading by my hosting company about 4 months ago, they said vB4 was unrelieable and has issues that needed sorting. Is this still the case (indeed was it ever) or would it be wise to make the change now from what is a solid and reliable platform I currently have. I want the extra features of vB4 but not at the expense of trouble.

Should I switch and can anyone give me some links to sites that are really using vB4 to showcase all of the strengths of this product?

Many thanks in anticipation.
      If waiting is not a problem for you, you can wait for 4.1.
      If you can't wait for too long, wait for 4.0.5 or 4.0.6

If you don't need too much customization, switch now! (to 4.0.3 which will be available in a few days)
      Last edited by Riasat; Mon 5 Apr '10, 5:31am.

Comment

• samiro
        • Mar 2006

dont even think about it
        DO NOT UPDATE !!!
        VB4 is so problematic !
        My Women's Forums:

Comment

• Riasat
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by samiro
          dont even think about it
          DO NOT UPDATE !!!
          VB4 is so problematic !
          stop spreading FUD.

yes, it still has a long way to go, but unless you need too much customization, it is fine at the moment.

Comment

• borbole
            • Feb 2010

It is always best to keep up to dated with all the softwares that you run into your server space, security wise. If you don''t want to upgrade to vb 4, then at least make sure that you are using the last version of the 3.7 series.

Whereas about your host ''s claim of vb 4 being unrelieable, it is a bunch of crap. They should stick to giving advices to things that they know and not to things that they don''t have a clue about but might have it on hear say.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

I advise everyone to make their own decisions on upgrading to vB4, its a big deal, there is alot of different things. Its best to do a test upgrade and evluate the upgrade for yourself.

My personal expirences are positive as well as the people im working with most every day outside of my work hours.

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by sff
                I was advised against upgrading by my hosting company about 4 months ago, they said vB4 was unrelieable and has issues that needed sorting.
                If my Host was making such unprofessional/slanderous comments in public, I'd be looking for a new one.

You might want to read http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...-vBulletin-4-0 before taking the plunge.
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• steven s
                  • Jul 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by sff
                  Guys,

Like Zachary said, make a test install and decide for yourself.
                  Personally, I'd wait to see what 4.0.3 or even 4.0.4 holds.

For me the updates have not been as smooth as vB3.x have been.
                  Your CMS is going to be in the same directory as your forum. For some that is a problem.
                  Me? I want my CMS to be in the root and the forum to be /forum or forum.mydomain.
                  Can't do that easily right now.
                  vB4 seems to use more queries and runs a little slower.

But I would upgrade to 3.8.5 at the very least. You may be better off with another CMS that has common login between vBulletin.
                  ...steven
                  www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                  bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                  "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• sff
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Thanks for your help and opinions guys. The CMS is really what Im looking for more than a new forum platform. Is it possible to buy vB4 but only use the CMS element now? Could I then wait for 4.1 before transfering the forum over?

Does anyone know if there are CMS tutorials online so I can see how easy working with the CMS will be?

Sorry for all the questions, Im a bit slow with all this stuff.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

You can't use the CMS without the forums. The CMS require vbulletin 4 to be installed and running.

Comment

• Super Cat
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Give it a week and ask the question again. Waiting on the latest upgrade to give a better opinion. I've been running 4.0 since beta. There have been many issues but every upgrade it is getting better. I wouldn't go with another CMS right now because 4.0 is coming along nicely in my opinion. Before VB was in a hurry to get upgrades out because of many unstable issues. The last two upgrades have come slow because most issues were solve to have a healthy running forum.

I say upgrade but wait for 7 days to see how latest upgrade is doing. Since you are new to CMS. You will be very please waiting for VB 4.0 if next upgrade fixes many of the past issues.

My issues is with dark/light styles. If you are sticking with light style you will have less issues. Most issues now are with IE 6 and RTL.
                        Originally posted by sff
                        Thanks for your help and opinions guys. The CMS is really what Im looking for more than a new forum platform. Is it possible to buy vB4 but only use the CMS element now? Could I then wait for 4.1 before transfering the forum over?

Does anyone know if there are CMS tutorials online so I can see how easy working with the CMS will be?

Sorry for all the questions, Im a bit slow with all this stuff.

Comment

• Sir Nick
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by CvP
                          If waiting is not a problem for you, you can wait for 4.1.
                          If you can't wait for too long, wait for 4.0.5 or 4.0.6

If you don't need too much customization, switch now! (to 4.0.3 which will be available in a few days)
                          What he said. It is best to wait as their is so many exploits in the 4.x series.

Comment

• borbole
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sir Nick
                            What he said. It is best to wait as their is so many exploits in the 4.x series.
                            That doesn''t matter as long as you use the latest version of the vb 4 series. There are no known security issues with it.

Comment

• Oasismad
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by borbole
                              That doesn''t matter as long as you use the latest version of the vb 4 series. There are no known security issues with it.
                              True but 3 exploits have been found in the current version hence we are on 4.0.2 PL4 - but yes currently there are no known exploits - until the next one is found

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...