X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the_pedestrian
    • Dec 2001

coupla' wierd questions

hello,

i am very interested in the software, but am unsure if it will meet the requirements of my site. Some issues for myself are;

(i) My board will already be behind an .htaccess. Is it possible to disable the login/register part. Alternatively, would it be possible to remove the registration/viewing options to the public, while allowing members who had registered privately through myself to post and download?

(ii) Would it be possible to wipe all the messages every 3 months, but keep topic/user information?

(iii) Would it be possible to upload MP3s ONLY(@ approx 1.4 Mb) along with the message, and would such a system require huge amounts of resources to manage?

I am only hosted on a virtual server.

Thanks in advance. The software looks great, hope we can sort something out

chris
  • Sinecure
    • Jul 2001

(i)Yes - You can disable your forums so no new people can register
    (ii)Yes - I beleive you can just prune them and that information will stay there. You should probably get this confirmed.
    (iii)Yes - When you post you can post attatchments. You could just simply get your users to zip the mp3s and post them. You will need to change the max number of bytes allowed to be posted in attatchments in order for that to work, (Very Easy to do)

If you are posting mp3's thats going to suck up a lot of space and bandwidth just incase you aren't awair of that.
    Board of the Month: November
    Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
    Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
    vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• the_pedestrian
      • Dec 2001

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the bandwidth issues etc. As a side note, would an uploaded file be stored in the database, or just on my server?

Thanks again

Comment

• Sinecure
        • Jul 2001

I beleive it gets stored in the database. I beleive, however, that there is a hack available for uploaded attatchments to go to a directory, or maybe thats avatars

Perhaps someone else can confirm these for me
        Board of the Month: November
        Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
        Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
        vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

All attachments and custom avatars get stored in the database.

Comment

• The Prohacker
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.8.x

Also, the host your on might limit the size of uploads via PHP, and if its less than 1.4mb like you want, you won't be able to attach the files....

Comment

• the_pedestrian
              • Dec 2001

Thanks

yeah, ive mailed my Host to see what their limits are. Thanks for the feedback, though ive gotta work out now whether vBulletin is what i need....hope so, coz it looks slick

thanks again,

The_pedestrian

if anyone does know of a way to hack the software to change the upload procedure, i'd love to know. Is doing this OK with vBulletin's terms of use?

Comment

• JamesUS
                • Aug 2000

There is a hack for storing avatars in the file system, so in theory you could adapt that slightly for attachments. Otherwise, post a request on vBulletin.org and see if someone can help you.

On your question about our terms, we don't object at all to code hacking, but you should be aware that we can't support hacked boards where we feel the hacking has caused problems.

Comment

• the_pedestrian
                  • Dec 2001

Im on it

Thanks a lot for the pre-support, ill check out the other forums etc, and see what i can find...

so far, so good

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...