Is it easy to get out stuff from the DB with Vbulletin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caratseu
    • Jan 2010

Is it easy to get out stuff from the DB with Vbulletin?

I'm currently looking for something like this http://wiki.phpbb.com/Practical.Disp...external_pages

It takes stuff out from the Database, like a portal. I can use my own template/layout with it.
    I was wondering if there is something like this for Vbulletin? I'm not looking for a portal.

Thanks.
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

vBulletin has an RSS external output you can use:

Otherwise, yes you can write your own code. Your best bet is to find existing modifications at vBulletin.org that do something similar and then tweak them to your needs, or just modify external.php.

Comment

• Off_Topic
      • Dec 2009

It's pretty simple to do. We managed to write our own script for Wordpress that shows the latest points. It basically queries the database and sorts it out for us. If you have a knowledge of MySQL it's super simple as you'd expect. No hidden secrets.
      http://www.offtopic.com.au/

Comment

• hitmancode47
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.8.x

It all depends on how much you understand that sort of thing, if you understand how it works, yes it should be easy.

However, if you are say a beginner with no/little experience with MYSQL databases then it may prove to be a challenge.
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Edwin Brown
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2009
          • 5.5.x

Also, check my blog in a couple days. I've got a couple people testing a (unsupported) php content type to do stuff like this.
          Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• Caratseu
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by feldon23
            vBulletin has an RSS external output you can use:

Otherwise, yes you can write your own code. Your best bet is to find existing modifications at vBulletin.org that do something similar and then tweak them to your needs, or just modify external.php.
            I don't see any script/code there. :S

Originally posted by Off_Topic
            It's pretty simple to do. We managed to write our own script for Wordpress that shows the latest points. It basically queries the database and sorts it out for us. If you have a knowledge of MySQL it's super simple as you'd expect. No hidden secrets.
            Well, I have basic knowledge of MySQL. I believe its more than that.. getting the posts out with the bbcode.

Originally posted by hitmancode47
            It all depends on how much you understand that sort of thing, if you understand how it works, yes it should be easy.

However, if you are say a beginner with no/little experience with MYSQL databases then it may prove to be a challenge.
            It sure is.

Originally posted by Edwin Brown
            Also, check my blog in a couple days. I've got a couple people testing a (unsupported) php content type to do stuff like this.
            Could you give me a link please?

Thanks for the replies. One more thing the function I'm looking for have to take out the post infos with the BBcode.
            What I'm looking for example:
            Hello, this is the external page.

and what not.. without the star of course:
            [*b]Hello, this is the external page[/b]

And please delete the spammers post.
            Thanks =)

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

If you followed my link, at the bottom was another link Implementing the External Data Provider.

Again, this is NOT MySQL/PHP code to make your own output, this is using the built-in vBulletin RSS feed.

And to answer your other question:

This is bold text.

[b]This is bold text.[/b]

[noparse][b]This is bold text.[/b][/noparse]

Comment

• Caratseu
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by feldon23
                If you followed my link, at the bottom was another link Implementing the External Data Provider.

Again, this is NOT MySQL/PHP code to make your own output, this is using the built-in vBulletin RSS feed.

And to answer your other question:

This is bold text.

[b]This is bold text.[/b]

[noparse][b]This is bold text.[/b][/noparse]
                Thank you, but thats not what Im looking for.
                Im looking for something like this.

Comment

• King Kovifor
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Caratseu
                  Thank you, but thats not what Im looking for.
                  Im looking for something like this.

It's easy enough to write your own code by querying the database directly and using included functions / classes to get things such as BBCode filtered out. That is beyond the scope of reply permitted within this forum, but can be provided over at vBulletin.org after the purchase of a license.

Comment

• Caratseu
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by King Kovifor
                    It's easy enough to write your own code by querying the database directly and using included functions / classes to get things such as BBCode filtered out. That is beyond the scope of reply permitted within this forum, but can be provided over at vBulletin.org after the purchase of a license.
                    I do not want the BBcode to be filtered out, I want it to work.
                    I'm asking if there IS a premade script for it, Like the PhpBB one.

I really want to buy a vBulletin, but the function I need is very important.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...