Can I publish a vbulletin forum using my existing Yahoo webhosting plan ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digforcrystals
    • Mar 2010

Can I publish a vbulletin forum using my existing Yahoo webhosting plan ?

Can I publish a vbulletin forum using my existing Yahoo webhosting plan ? I looked around a bit at the help section for my Yahoo ! small business webhosting service. It had a vague reference to providing "PHP-NUke" but not sure if this would work with the vBulletin.

Anyone familiar with Yahoo webhosting and how easy or difficult it will be to publish a vbulletin forum thru them ?

THANKS !
  • Mr_Bob
    • Sep 2004

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with how yahoo runs at all. However, if they offer MYSQL 4.1 and PHP 5.2 or higher versions of each respectively, you should be able to. Pretty much any web server has PHP installed, MYSQL however, although likely installed, may or not be accessible with your account depending on the service type you get from Yahoo. You need to be able to (or Yahoo needs to be able to) create a MYSQL database for you to install the software in.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• digforcrystals
      • Mar 2010

The yahoo help section mentions providing "php-nuke". Do you know if that would be sufficient to install vbulletin ?

Thanks again !

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by digforcrystals
        The yahoo help section mentions providing "php-nuke". Do you know if that would be sufficient to install vbulletin ?
        PHP-Nuke is a CMS/Portal system, not the PHP you're looking for.

There should be information related to the version of PHP itself and MySQL somewhere in your hosting plan details.
        To be updated...

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by digforcrystals
          Anyone familiar with Yahoo webhosting and how easy or difficult it will be to publish a vbulletin forum thru them ?
          Are you thinking of vB 3.8 or vB4 ?
          For me from about 3.7 it became impossible to use it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• we_are_borg
            • Aug 2004
            • 4.2.X

Yahoo uses MySQL 4.1 and PHP version 4.3.11 so i think vb4.x.x. is out of the question.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

I would advise agasint yahoo in general. Stick to a webhost who is middle of the road in size and reputable. Preferably someone whos business is just webhosting.

Comment

• digforcrystals
                • Mar 2010

so if you dont recommend I use my Yahoo account.....

So if you dont recommend using my existing yahoo account , does anyone have any suggestions on the best webhosting service to use ?

I am very happy with my website hosted by yahoo. There site builder is great and I never have issues with their service. It would be great if I could add the vbulletin forum there and not have an additional cost.
                That being said , I am looking for a low cost hosting service. I'm not looking for a free service because I don't want their ads and add-ons. I want to use my own google ads to generate money from the forum.

Any suggestions ?

THANKS !

Comment

• Mr_Bob
                  • Sep 2004

We're not exactly allowed to give suggestions for webhost providers in this area; however, there's an area set up on this forum located here with loads of information, testimonials, etc concerning just about any webhost you can think of.

If you purchase the VB 4 Suite package, you can use the CMS to build your website. However, if you'd rather not have a dynamic CMS (and you do need some coding knowledge to really customize it the way you want) there are still many webhosts that provide a site builder. My webhost happens to do so, and if you're interested send me a PM (again, we're not supposed to advertise in this area).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...