Only $20 savings on upgrade from buying new? why such a piss poor discount?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RandyO
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.5.x

Only $20 savings on upgrade from buying new? why such a piss poor discount?

I have been a loyal VBB user, purchasing every update as they come out and now I get hammered for almost the full price of a new board?// what gives? I may as well just buy a new license or find a different forum for a new site...
  • anderow
    • Sep 2008
    • 4.1.x

Its called being bent over a barrel

Im in the same position and basically HAVE to pay the upgrade as it would be a nightmare to port to a different software

Comment

• Autopilot
      Banned
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by RandyO
      I have been a loyal VBB user, purchasing every update as they come out and now I get hammered for almost the full price of a new board?// what gives? I may as well just buy a new license or find a different forum for a new site...
      Retracted comments, the post I was refering to apparently was removed.
      Last edited by Autopilot; Sun 14 Feb '10, 5:22am.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Autopilot
        And this is for software that is deemed by its developers as immature and disfunctional in many areas compaired to free software. When purchasing this product it should come with some lube. I was a key stroke away from purchasing this product when one of their lead developers told me it sucked but might be worth something several years from now.
        Who from the current development team said this?

Comment

• Autopilot
          Banned
          • Feb 2010

The post was about a week ago in another thread and I don't remember the persons name. I looked through other threads I had read and couldn't find it again so I've either missed it or the person deleted it. hmmm disappointing, so I guess a retraction is in order here.
          I've sent several hours playing with the demo so I don't really agree with some of the things they said but I think I'll wait for a while before buying.

Comment

• Nick
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by RandyO
            You missed the pre-sale.

But don't worry, no matter how cheap it could be, it's not worth it.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment

• dojo
              • Aug 2006
              • 3.5.x

I assume I have missed it too. I am sitting on 6 licenses paid and now I have NO DISCOUNT at all to "upgrade". Am seriously cosidering letting all of them go and migrating to mYbb. I have experience in this and at least I won't have to deal with the spam I had on VB. If I could get my money back, I would, but the guys were smart enough to cover their back. Let's say it's a lesson learned. NEVER deal with such "business". With forums that get upgraded and the ones who paid hundreds of dollars are "invited" to pay some more. In a way I kinda understand those who pirate it.
              Webmaster Tips & Tricks

Comment

• bosss
                • Jan 2008

Can recommended mybb ... because vbulletin make robbery with their "new license agreement" and their own rules ...
                nulled vb is piracy?? no - do not thinks so... this vb is piracy ... because there is no possibility to renew license ... like all another software ... and game about owned and leased license????
                rules against law ....

regards
                bosss
                Welcome to Libar

Comment

• RandyO
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Dont get me wrong, I fully understand charging for major revisions (does not mean I agree with them, I have migrated medical billing systems away from vendors that do this every 6 to 12 months and these systems are $thouands$ of USD..)

But this amount is an insult IMHO... People that keep current contracts should be given some treatment to keep them on board.. I can assure you that the licenses I own will go "un-renewed" As a webhost, webmaster, I get plenty of questions about software packages and VBB was always one of my favorites... Sure there are lots of "big" boards that run VBB but they are not going to support the software on their own.. VB needs the thousands of little guys to keep the doors open..

This little guy has sent his last dollar until revisions are made to the pricing structure.. So far my subscription has cost VB not one thin dime... have never requested support or even filed a trouble ticket.. I just figured being a good guy and staying current on my releases helped a product to improve.. Never thought one of the vendors would stick it up my butt like this... I can rethink my "good" citizen attitude now...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...