I need some Technical questions answered before buying.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PIERCGG
    • Feb 2010

I need some Technical questions answered before buying.

Can the vBulletin Forum software run on Windows Server WEB EDITION? (Please notice I said WEB EDITION).

Can vBulleting run with IIS 7.0?

Can vBulletin run on a server WITHOUT being the DEFAULT website?

What software language is vBulletin written in?

Is installation as easy as double-clicking an executable file or do I have to jump through a million hoops and re-invent the planet like I have had to do with Invision IP.Board (which STILL isn't working). I have just been BURNED by the setup process of Invision IP.Board and lack of support personnel who take a serious interest in helping.

What is the installation process? (i.e. can someone send me the installation document so I can see what I am getting into before I decide to buy).

Thank you,
    Ginger
    [email protected]
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Assuming Web Edition can run php and mysql (or at least connect to a mysql server)
    vBulletin requires php, if php runs on IIS7, which AFAIK does, then yes.
    Yes, vBulletin can be stored wherver, it does not need to be in the weboort.
    PHP and MySQL, there is also XHTML, Javascript, and CSS.

No double click. However, upload files, edit config file (you need to give it a mysql username, password for the username, and database name), run the installer: domain.com/forumdirectory/install/install.php The installer does 99% of the rest of the work assuming the config infiromation is correct.

Comment

• PIERCGG
      • Feb 2010

So basically.....

The same installation hoops that Invision PB requires.....

No thanks.

Comment

• Dilly
        • Mar 2005

LOL. Hoops?

If you can't manage this reading a text file and following instructions, i'd suggest giving up right now...

lol

Comment

• Mike Anime
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by PIERCGG
          The same installation hoops that Invision PB requires.....

No thanks.

only a servers default BBs don't require you to do all that, however they are so less secure it isn't even funny.

seriousley how did you ever set up a server if you can't even do this. not being rude here just curious as all hell.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

I doubt you're going to find to many forum softwares that meet your needs if you cannot upload the files and edit a configuration file.

If they don't require you to edit the config file, chances are you'll need to chmod it, and provide ithat same information in another browser based installer. I'm unaware of any php based forum software that runs via a windows installer package.

Best of luck in your search.

Comment

• Al Zander
              • Aug 2001

Trying to decipher the Captcha image while registering a username on a forum such as this one is often an exponentially more difficult task than setting up the forum software itself.

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by PIERCGG
                Is installation as easy as double-clicking an executable file or do I have to jump through a million hoops and re-invent the planet like I have had to do with Invision IP.Board (which STILL isn't working). I have just been BURNED by the setup process of Invision IP.Board and lack of support personnel who take a serious interest in helping.
                Something is seriously wrong there.
                With IPB you don't have to edit anything,just supply the required details to the installer.
                (User name,password,etc.)
                You cannot give them to it? Give them to their staff and they will install your forum absolutely free.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...